New liner

brasilmom

Jul 23, 2011
Brookfield, WI
Hello. We just remove our winter cover and found the usual debris and what not in the water. We also found a big tear on the liner above the water line, near the top edge. That area get sun all day long and was rather faded compared to all the other edges. Anyway, we tried to patch but it is not looking good. This liner is not very old, maybe 6 years, so we are a bit disappointed withe the short life (maybe?). Our pool is a lazy L shape with fiberglass steps. The steps are not looking very good and we did not got anything done to it last time. Is it possible to cover the steps with a "foam" liner of sorts? What should we look for in the new liner? Thanks,

One option is to make a temporary repair for one season, Gorilla tape. Thats what we did and the kids couldn't care or notice. Other parents said nothing, and they had whatever beverage they requested. If you're just looking for a quote now, you might not get an install until July, who knows. Then you either have no pool unitl then, or you fill to the top, drain completely for the new liner, and refill. You'd have more time to pick out a liner and any other enhancements if you wait a year.

As to the steps, we choose to have the top of them cut off, and we're getting new coping all around the pool including the top of the steps. We used to have the curved aluminum coping that was the latest thing, last century.

Also, being a Lazy L means you need to be sure you have proper measurements, perhaps it takes longer to get made too.

I've heard of liner over steps, but think that was for steps that protrude inside the pool, which I'm not a fan of. The steps I think you are talking about have track for the liner to snap into on each side. New steps is a huge expense, and refinished steps is also expensive, and the refinish quality & longevity have mixed reviews. For us, a new coping will be a great upgrade. It was only the top sun exposed surface that had the really ugly wear anyway.

Good luck.

Reactions: brasilmom
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.