Milledgeville, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Good morning. We had a new vinyl liner installed in our 26,000 gallon in-ground pool about 2.5 weeks ago. We refilled the pool with tap water over a 3 day period and it was hot and sunny. When the pool was about 40% full, I added a half gallon of 10% bleach. I started adding bags of salt once it was full. I was afraid of overdoing any of the chemicals, so I was adding approximately half of what the math said I needed, then re-checking. Then I awoke to algae one day before I had all the chemicals complete and balanced. I started shocking the pool with bleach and got the pool cleared up after a week or so. At this point, I had only added 4 lbs of granular CYA. Once I saw the chlorine come up and stay up, I resumed adding all the other chemicals.
I haven't added any chemicals for 48 hrs other than my SWG running. Here are my levels for August 13, 15, and 17 respectively:

FC: 0.4___6.0___11.0
CC: 0___0___0.5
pH: 7.6___7.6___7.8 (I'll add muriatic acid today 8-17)
TA: 90___110___100
CH: 230___200___190
CYA: <30___55___60
Salt: 2800 per SWG panel___3600___3600 (last 2 readings per manual test)

I'm concerned about the FC of 11.0. It rose from 6.0 to 11.0 in 2 days with no chlorine added except what the SWG is producing.
And it looks like I added too much baking soda since the TA is high. I'm wondering if I should take any action today(besides bringing the pH down a bit) or if I should keep testing until the test results are more stabilized. I'm also wondering if I should turn off the SWG and let some of the chlorine dissipate. Thanks for your help and advice.

Last edited:
Right now you need to ensure the water is 100% algae-free by completing the SLAM Process. With a CYA of 60, your FC SLAM level is "24". That's the FC you need to maintain until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Once you do that, then you can let the FC fall and start adjusting other items like pH and TA. For now though, focus on the SLAM. Leave the SWG off during the SLAM and just use liquid chlorine or bleach to maintain that level of 24.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.