New liner, new water, winterization chemistry question

travthemav

Jul 22, 2022
NH
We just had our liner replaced about a month ago. Fresh water delivered, and pool winterized by the pool store folks 2 days later. In speaking with the owner of the store, I had asked about the importance of getting the water chemistry balanced prior to winterization, and he said really the pH was the most important thing, as if the new water is acidic it would be bad for the new liner having the acidic water sitting in there all winter. When the pool guys came to winterize, I was not home. When I tested the water (via test strip) that night after they winterized, the pH was showing 6.2. I emailed the owner, and he apologized saying they forgot to add the pH increaser when they closed, so they would swing back by to do that. Again, I was not home when that happened, but a couple weeks later now I get the invoice - they added 20 lbs of alkalinity increaser according to the invoice. So I test the water again... chlorine 0, pH 6.2, TA 40, CYA 0.

My question for the group, as I am a relatively new pool owner and this is the first time I have been involved in the winterization of the pool - is... SHOULD I have gotten the chemistry levels fully balanced before closing? Is it strange that they would winterize using a typical process even though there is no stabilizer to "hold" the chlorine levels for very long? The water level is drained below the skimmer/jets, so I can't circulate chemicals effectively at this point. What is my best bet to hopefully ensure that I don't open an acidic swamp in the Spring?

They charged $50 for 20 lbs of baking soda already, so I'm leaning toward trying to correct these issues myself...

My tentative plan at the moment is to get the pH up to 7.6 using soda ash, then re-check TA and adjust as needed using baking soda/muriatic acid until levels are 50-90. Considering adding liquid conditioner (since I can't circulate dry stabilizer) to get the CYA to the low-end level of 30-40, and then liquid chlorine to get the sanitizer levels up to 8-10ppm, and re-cover with our mesh winter cover.

Thoughts on my plan, or where am I going wrong?

Hey Trav !!! What kind of cover are you using ? If it's permeable, and has't been mixed in a few weeks, the PH could be low from all the rain we've had. It may have been ok when they left it.

Here's what a member did in a similar situation recently if you'd like to tackle it. If you do, mix it well and test first.

Hey Trav !!! What kind of cover are you using ? If it's permeable, and has't been mixed in a few weeks, the PH could be low from all the rain we've had. It may have been ok when they left it.

Here's what a member did in a similar situation recently if you'd like to tackle it. If you do, mix it well and test first.

Thanks for the reply! It is a mesh cover. I tested the water right after it was filled, and came in at ~ 6.2. Then the pool folks said they forgot to add any pH increaser when they closed (I was there when they started to close, but only for about 5 minutes - they immediately started draining the pool - no testing was done). Then I tested that night, and it was 6.2. Then they came and supposedly added pH increaser, but it wasn't until I got the invoice today that I realized they instead only added alkalinity increaser. I re-tested today and it was 6.2. I just have no reason to believe that anything was done that would have raised the pH, and to your point - I'm sure the rains we have had the past few weeks haven't helped.

I think the borax/soda ash dissolved in a bucket, and circulated with a submersible pump is a good idea as was discussed in that other thread. I have the pool math app to ensure the amounts are appropriate. Any recommendations about stabilizer and chlorine levels that I mentioned? Was my plan for those reasonable - after managing the pH and alkalinity, liquid stabilizer to 30-40, and then get chlorine to 8-10 before re-covering?

Baking soda dissolves instantly. Might not have dispersed very well. If that much was added, do not add borax. Just mix the existing water very well.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.