New liner...balancing taken away from hubby

May 25, 2017
Erial, NJ
It's me again! So the liner is in and absolutely stunning! As you may remember, I posted earlier that I'm taking over the chemicals from my husband as it hasn't been good the last few seasons.

Heres my readings with TF-100 after two days of dissolving CYA and adding 122 ounces of 8.25% bleach (after initial fill 48 hours ago). 4 pounds of CYA in socks in two skimmers are almost dissolved and I need to still dissolve 3 more pounds (I started dissolving the last 4 pounds in a bucket of warm water as it's taking awhile to dissolve).

Todays readings:

CYA 0 (but I am starting to notice a difference)
TA 100
CH 250
PH 7.2
FC 0
CC 0
TC 0

Questions: I want to add bleach but family wants to swim. Can they swim now and I can add bleach later? OR If I add bleach now, how long before they can swim? Or can they swim at all? I know with no CYA sun will burn it off.

Had my pool 17 years but never my job to balance the water so please excuse this newbie.

Attachments

• IMG_8386.jpg
    IMG_8386.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 122
You really need to add Chlorine/bleach ASAP. You will probably need to test frequently every 2-3 hours at first while the CYA begins to appear. Run your pump 24/7 for at least 3-4 days until you get stable readings. The CYA will take a bit of time to appear since you used the skimmer method and its on the sand filter, unless you have backwashed after adding the CYA, then you have drain most of the CYA to waste. The remaining CYA add it via the sock method hanging in front of a return and squeezing every few hours. You can swim in your pool as long as you have FC and never higher than Slam levels.

Nice looking pool

Felipe

It's me again! So the liner is in and absolutely stunning! As you may remember, I posted earlier that I'm taking over the chemicals from my husband as it hasn't been good the last few seasons.

Heres my readings with TF-100 after two days of dissolving CYA and adding 122 ounces of 8.25% bleach (after initial fill 48 hours ago). 4 pounds of CYA in socks in two skimmers are almost dissolved and I need to still dissolve 3 more pounds (I started dissolving the last 4 pounds in a bucket of warm water as it's taking awhile to dissolve).

Todays readings:

CYA 0 (but I am starting to notice a difference)
TA 100
CH 250
PH 7.2
FC 0
CC 0
TC 0

Questions: I want to add bleach but family wants to swim. Can they swim now and I can add bleach later? OR If I add bleach now, how long before they can swim? Or can they swim at all? I know with no CYA sun will burn it off.

Had my pool 17 years but never my job to balance the water so please excuse this newbie.
You need to get chlorine in that pool right away. Follow the Chlorine / CYA chart and dose your pool up to your anticipated CYA target.

https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

It is safe to swim when:

FC is above minimum, and below shock level
pH is between 7.2-7.8
The water is clear enough to see someone in trouble at the bottom of the deep end.

Thank you!! Adding it now. How long after I add it can they swim?

- - - Updated - - -

Please explain why.
I usually wait to put the bleach jug back in the shed before I'll get in the pool after adding. If you dribble it in front of a return jet, it'll disperse and mix really fast. A few people jumping in and thrashing around will get things stirred up real good.

I wouldn't touch the pH right now. It's in range and the high TA will drive it up in a few days anyway. Maybe sooner, depending on how much aeration the swimmers create.

Thank you Richard. I just added 133 oz according to Pool Math. I will recheck everything again tonight. I'm new to this method so was concerned about adding bleach and swimming. So I appreciate u explaining.
Until the CYA dissolves and mixes thoroughly, you'll probably lose all the FC in a few hours. That's normal and expected. Don't get excited and panic over it. If you want to take it back up before dark, go ahead. The sun won;t be around to steal it and the pump will be on anyway to dissolve the CYA, so it'll mix.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Beautiful liner! We just installed a new one last year. What a nightmare trying to chose one without actually seeing them with water.

You will love the TFP way. I switched and my pool has never been better! As a matter a fact, I just received my new pump today and have been without one since the 20th of this month. So far so good with just adding enough bleach and stirring it up with the brush. It's work stirring it like that, but as long as it keeps it clear I am happy! Now, have to get that pump up and running.

You can do this! If I can, anyone can! Good luck.
Sherry

Beautiful liner! We just installed a new one last year. What a nightmare trying to chose one without actually seeing them with water.

You will love the TFP way. I switched and my pool has never been better! As a matter a fact, I just received my new pump today and have been without one since the 20th of this month. So far so good with just adding enough bleach and stirring it up with the brush. It's work stirring it like that, but as long as it keeps it clear I am happy! Now, have to get that pump up and running.

You can do this! If I can, anyone can! Good luck.
Sherry

Thanks Sherry. I've been reading here for weeks! Trying to get my CYA up and I should be good to go!!

Yes it it took me forever to pick a liner. I wanted something different but was afraid to step outside the box. I couldn't be happier with what I chose. It's exactly what I was looking for and really stand out with all my white coping and concrete. I'm glad that's over. Lol. Now on to balancing my pool. It's getting there. Still a lot to learn but the folks here are so helpful. It's soooo appreciated!! Husband still wants to put his input in and I just keep telling him "I got this!"

I'm confused. I hope I didn't do something wrong.

I was away for 5 days. I decided to put a Caroline stick in the pool hoping it would help maintain some levels. Well it didn't. I came home to a cloudy pool.

Ran tests. Added necessary bleach. So now, 36 hours later, pool is still cloudy. Here are the numbers I just got.

CYA 25
FC 4.5
CC .5
TC 5
CH 250
TA 90
PH 7.2

I have added more stabilizer to get it up to 40. Anything else I should do to get my pool back to clear?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.