Gold Supporter
Jul 14, 2021
Berkeley Lake, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine

Curious what everyone’s thoughts are on this new device/service Leslie’s is about to release?

It appears to be a home version of the device they use for testing in store but seems like there would be less risk of employee error or cross contamination when it’s in your own home.

The $50 month is a little steep however you do get $50 in store credit every month that you can use for anything from chemicals to parts to toys. You can also pause it during the months when pool is closed.

Let me know what you all think?

Reactions: KevinL

Well, it is a good deal for Leslies in the fact that they have a customer base essentially locked in to buying their product and if not they still get $600 annually from you.

Like any photometer based tester, the unit may be “precise” but that just means it will give you a very precise WRONG answer. Unless you run calibration standards, you have no idea if the unit is working or not. And don’t be fooled by the “it’s NSF Level 1 certified” canard, that’s meaningless. It just means that, out of the box, it should perform as intended and measure the parameters it says it will measure but says nothing for how long the unit will last or how accurate the unit is. So, in the end, you’re basically paying upfront and every month for a subscription chemical service regardless of whether or not the tester is giving you meaningful results. It’s no better than walking into Leslie’s every month and handing the clerk a $50 bill to add to your tab.

Do you spend $50/month on chemicals? I certainly don’t and my guess would be the vast majority of TFP’ers don’t either.

Curious what everyone’s thoughts are on this new device/service Leslie’s is about to release?

It appears to be a home version of the device they use for testing in store but seems like there would be less risk of employee error or cross contamination when it’s in your own home.

The $50 month is a little steep however you do get $50 in store credit every month that you can use for anything from chemicals to parts to toys. You can also pause it during the months when pool is closed.

I looked Intl this and I think you have to start paying for the discs at some point.

Well what do you think about this new digital water tester?

Let's start here...What is the problem that you are trying to solve?

With my FAS-DPD an pH daily, and once a week testing of everything else, I spend less that 30 minutes a week testing, less than 5 per day with FAS-DPD.

I have read a lot of the threads on the tools/automation/ORP type testing and you lose significant accuracy, and in the case of ORP, ORP FC actually doesn't give you a real reading on the HOCI (stuff that kills) algae (see page 11 here Chlorine CYA). The photometry tools that ARE accurate are very expensive $$Thousand+ (not any of the ones you are finding), and have to be continually calibrated, and are meant for lab use. With these automation tools you are looking at, you are spending a lot of money and likely will find they aren't accurate, and can lead you to putting chemicals in you don't need, or lead to insufficient FC and algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On another note, TFP has been a huge help, reduced your costs and helped you recover your pool.

Our recommendation is to stick with the Taylor or TFTEST kits, and not to go back to Leslie's.

Just wondering why you are going back to Leslie's?

On another note, TFP has been a huge help, reduced your costs and helped you recover your pool.

Our recommendation is to stick with the Taylor or TFTEST kits, and not to go back to Leslie's.

Just wondering why you are going back to Leslie's?
I'm not. I posted that question awhile back and agree that since then I have received lots of excellent advice and help restoring my pool to now make me a TFP convert. So, thank you everyone!

My apologies. I didn't look at the date of the first post. I saw daveintexas "new Post" that he made today. I assumed it was a current thread.

I am super proud of what you accomplished, and the look of your pool. I also like the design, never saw one with two slopes to the middle. Very cool.

If you plan to spend around $600 a year on pool “stuff” the Accublue test device(Aka Lamotte Spintouch) is basically free. You can also use the 50$ credit a month to buy more test disks which are 5.99 for 5. The Spintouch also comes with a calibration disk to ensure the photocell is calibrated to NSF L1 standards.

It’s actually not a bad deal for those who are willing to spend money on Pool chemicals, parts, etc at Leslie’s with the added benefit of having access to a $1000 NSF L1 digital water testing device.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.