New Jersey Pool Heater - Has natural gas line but runs heater with propane. Why?

ChadJ

Jan 28, 2016
Delray Beach, FL
Hello. I am buying a home in South New Jersey that has an inground pool with built-in spa. The house has a natural gas line run to it for heating and other appliances, but it ALSO has two large above ground propane tanks that run the pool/spa heater. I’m trying to understand the logic in having a dedicated tank for the pool heater and using propane rather than tapping into the feed of natural gas to the house, which is maybe 20’ away where it meets the house. Any thoughts why this would be done? Thanks for any insights.

-Chad

How old is the pool? Could the pool have been built before NG service came to the street and NG was run into the house after the pool was built?

Any possible issues or easements restricting running a gas line from the gas meter to the pool equipment?

No easement issue. House was built in 98 and appears to have always had NG. The line into the house is no more than 20’ from either the heater or the above ground propane tanks. My RE agent is continuing to ask the seller the reasoning for the set up. It’s not a deal breaker, but I’d hate to remove the tanks if his approach had merit. So far, can’t seem to find the merit...

Also, I called the NG gas company and they say they would upgrade the meter or add another at their cost.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.