New Jersey geometric pool build

Here’s a bit of the mock drawing- I put 4 feet on the left hand - 4 on the front- then 10 along the right hand side which is behind the tanning ledge and is where there’s full sun 100% of the day. Behind the pool on the left hand side I put a small 3 foot walk way to the spa or pavilion. On the right side behind the pool I figured I would extend that a bit. It’s about 1,200 sq feet. Any changes I should do??

If I'm reading correctly, there is sun on the sun shelf 100% of the time, right? If so, keep in mind you will want an umbrella or some sort of shade for part of the shelf. Your dogs (senior or not) will appreciate it. Oh, and you will too! My granddog loves the sun shelf, but when it's really hot, he plops down on the shaded side of the shelf.

So close! The only thing I would add is-on the right side think about having the cement go from the corner of the pavilion to the the 10' area. This will allow people to pull up a chair by the hot tub and not block access to the pavilion. Can you see what I am saying?

Kim:kim:

Yes for sure! That's the goal- but we have 1,175 sq feet of travertine to work with so they're going to stretch that back part as much as we have left once the rest of it is all done! Thank you for the suggestion! The 4 foot of decking on the two sides is much better than 3- I would obviously like even more than that but we started out with our budget of 600 sq feet of travertine and now doubled it and that stuff is VERY pricey!! I figure 4 feet is enough for the kids to walk around and then the 10 feet on the side and then the back will give us enough space for loungers.

If I'm reading correctly, there is sun on the sun shelf 100% of the time, right? If so, keep in mind you will want an umbrella or some sort of shade for part of the shelf. Your dogs (senior or not) will appreciate it. Oh, and you will too! My granddog loves the sun shelf, but when it's really hot, he plops down on the shaded side of the shelf.

Yes, you're right! We're getting the ledge loungers and I'm going to get the table that has the umbrella with it. I know my two pups will for sure be hanging under the pavilion too!

Yes for sure! That's the goal- but we have 1,175 sq feet of travertine to work with so they're going to stretch that back part as much as we have left once the rest of it is all done! Thank you for the suggestion! The 4 foot of decking on the two sides is much better than 3- I would obviously like even more than that but we started out with our budget of 600 sq feet of travertine and now doubled it and that stuff is VERY pricey!! I figure 4 feet is enough for the kids to walk around and then the 10 feet on the side and then the back will give us enough space for loungers.
Not sure how wide your coping is, but we have 12" travertine and 3' of deck. That equals 4' of "walkable" space...something to consider.

Reactions: homesteadpool
No progress today as it’s raining, but the travertine looked pretty all wet! The not pretty part? My dogs will be walking through that mud and my floors will be a disaster shortly haha

Attachments

• 2A949AC3-27AF-41CB-BE69-6E97E77290E8.jpeg
    2A949AC3-27AF-41CB-BE69-6E97E77290E8.jpeg
    525.4 KB · Views: 86

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I keep hoping I'll get to post some HAPPY posts at some point, but so far it's been issue after issue after issue. We have a ton of issues with the quality of the installation of the travertine and the stone walls as well as issues with the actual build and connections. I've been waiting on a response from my PB on how he plans to address these issues (I outlined the issues in another post) when the inspectors then came to my house and failed us on electrical and building. My PB built us a bar behind the pool, and never pulled the permits for it (electrical, building, or plumbing) so that failed. Then there's a bunch of other small failures like GFI issues and stuff. Then the other list of failures are:
1. The raceway into the panel was done incorrectly & not to code, and needs to be fixed.

2. Need up to date permits for blower 4 LTS. - He never submitted for permits for this I guess.

3. Need the trench inspected for pool lights. According to the electrical inspector, this is a big issue. The pool plans submitted for approval have NO lights on them. He said the trench and all connections for the lights had to be inspected prior, but this was never done. He's saying now the trench has to be dug up and inspected.

4. The bond wire was never inspected. This was something he was very, very upset by and said he'll never sign off on giving us permits for the pool until the bonding wire is inspected. According to him, there's no easy fix to this and the travertine and concrete needs to be ripped up in numerous spots to expose the bonding wire to be inspected.

So now we are in "violation of pool code" and according to the inspector can not use the pool & our home owners will not give us the coverage without the approvals so we have no coverage on the pool. Really a fun time! I'm waiting on my PB to get back to me (I've called and e-mailed for the past 3 days the notices of violation) on what is going to be done. Not fun!!

WHAT????:shock: Unreal gurrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Time to hop in the car, go pick up some yummies and drinks to have a picnic IN the PB's office!!!

Here is your job from now on. EVERYTHING in writing! Email or texts work. IF he has not answered by tomorrow send him a CERTIFIED letter outlining everything! This will put him on notice your are serious! IF no answers after that think about having a lawyer send him a *love* note and see how he reacts to that!

WHAT????:shock: Unreal gurrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Time to hop in the car, go pick up some yummies and drinks to have a picnic IN the PB's office!!!

Here is your job from now on. EVERYTHING in writing! Email or texts work. IF he has not answered by tomorrow send him a CERTIFIED letter outlining everything! This will put him on notice your are serious! IF no answers after that think about having a lawyer send him a *love* note and see how he reacts to that!

He finally responded after my 3rd e-mail and said: "We are fully aware of the issues and will be addressed accordingly. "

No idea what that really means. I have already been in contact with my company lawyer and he said to keep everything in writing (no calls) and preferably e-mails. I was trying to give him a chance to fix it so we kept SOME kind of working relationship before I went the lawyer route because once we go there, there's no turning back. It's disappointing that not only did he do bad work, he didn't even do it to code or if he did (I have no clue) he just didn't bother getting any inspections done.

The ONLY I guess you can say positive is that because he blatantly didn't follow code, it's considered a consumer fraud case which in NJ is 3X damages and lawyer's fees covered. Still, it's just where this is the last thing I wanted. We can't use the pool because it's not approved & homeowners won't cover it until I have an approval. Not fun!

Here's some lovely videos of his work: atmmegs

Any further follow-up by the PB on the open issues? I certainly understand if you just defer until its all wrapped up.

Reactions: l1ltaral1l
Any further follow-up by the PB on the open issues? I certainly understand if you just defer until its all wrapped up.

As of right now, we're tied up because my PB didn't get any mid point inspections done (which I had no idea) and so there's numerous pool code violations including the trench of the electric was never inspected and has to be ripped up and then the biggest issue is the bonding wire was never inspected. My PB tried to submit pictures but the inspector refused the pictures saying they're "concerning" and so now we're in limbo with that.

• Angry
Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.