New-ish pool owner looking for advise and resources

DCarr10760

May 31, 2021
Connecticut
Hi, my name is David. I'm 62 years old. I bought a house in the early days of the pandemic, the house has an older (1980s?) in-ground pool. I'm not sure of the construction method in terms of terminology, but it is concrete at the bottom where the diving area is, all the way up to the shallow end and stairway. The vertical part is about 3-feet tall and appears to be vinyl-clad panels. The concrete "bowl" ends in a ~1 foot ledge that wraps around the pool, except for the shallow end. The concrete part appears to be finished with a white cement based "paint." The vinyl-clad panels appear to have been painted with a rubbery paint. The pool was re-plastered in 2017 and this is in pretty good shape.

Last year, my pool developed a leak. I was losing about 4-6 inches of water a day. A pool company came and determined that the leaks were between the panels, not in the lines or the drain, nor in the cement part. I told them that I would repaint the concrete, seal and repaint the wall panels myself if they would come and drain the pool. I had asked them for recommendations for paint products. They've not responded.

Years ago I helped my then father-in-law paint his similarly constructed pool with Thoroseal (white Portland cement) on the cement parts. We did this about every 5 years. So I am familiar with that process. My question is this: What is the current best type of paint these days for the bottom, and what materials are best to seal the seams between the panels and what type of paint should I use for the panels. I am a skilled painter, but except for the Thoroseal application done at my FIL's, I haven't any other experience with pools.

I was hoping that you folks on this forum might point me in the direction of the current best materials to use, and good sources for these products. Thank you very much! David C

Sounds like you have a Hybrid Pools - Further Reading

Pool paint formulations have changed due to EPA regulations from the paints you used years ago. The current formulations of paint do not last like they used to.