New (ish) IC40 reporting 0 salt level, Flow Green, Red Low Salt

Jun 18, 2017
Ashburn, VA
Hi all, I've got a IC40 that I bought last April that is reporting a 0 salt level. It is set up properly (enabled IntelliChlor in the settings), and the lights are:
FLOW: GREEN
SALT LEVEL: RED

In the app, it is reading 0 salt. I can adjust the levels in the app and they register on the IC40 display. The cell does not seem to be producing any chlorine (but the water is pretty cold right now (58 degrees, which I don't know if this will affect it?) I verified with a test kit that the salt level is ~3000.

I tried doing the diagnostics(hold More button for 3+ seconds), then after showing hours press more again. All the salt % LEDs flashed green which seemed to indicate bad flow sensor (from the posts I've read).

I've seen people saying that just randomly replacing parts "fixes" this issue - starting with the flow sensor. Before I start spending $$$, I'd like to get your recommendation. I bought the IC40 off of Amazon, so I doubt I will get any warranty support from Pentair (??)

Any suggestions?

cj,

One of the things I would not buy off of E-Bay would be a salt cell.. ?

Was this a used unit or was it supposed to be new? Pull off the plastic cover over the flow switch and tell me if the cable between the cell and the flow switch is one piece of wire or if it has splices in it..

If I were in your shoes I would at least try a new flow switch.

If the water is too cold, the only light on the IC40 would be a green "Cold" light.. All the other lights would be off.

The colder the water the less accurate the salinity reading... 3000 ppm is pretty low.. 2800 is low salt and 2600 will shut the cell off.. One thing you could do is bring your salt up to an actual level of 3500 and see if that is enough to turn the cell on.

When the cell starts up, do you get that "train crossing" effect where the two lights flash back and forth between red and green?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Was this a new install or replacement?

You need to replace the flow sensor. You can also install a thermistor and bypass the one in the flow sensor.
See Pentair Flow Switch vs. Generic

Replacement. I had an IC20 before which suffered from the same ailment after a season. I installed the IC40 and it worked great last season out of the box. I winterized it (removed it and put it inside), and when I just hooked it up after the winter is when I noticed the issue. Thanks for the link, will check out.

cj,

One of the things I would not buy off of E-Bay would be a salt cell.. ?

Was this a used unit or was it supposed to be new? Pull off the plastic cover over the flow switch and tell me if the cable between the cell and the flow switch is one piece of wire or if it has splices in it..

If I were in your shoes I would at least try a new flow switch.

If the water is too cold, the only light on the IC40 would be a green "Cold" light.. All the other lights would be off.

The colder the water the less accurate the salinity reading... 3000 ppm is pretty low.. 2800 is low salt and 2600 will shut the cell off.. One thing you could do is bring your salt up to an actual level of 3500 and see if that is enough to turn the cell on.

When the cell starts up, do you get that "train crossing" effect where the two lights flash back and forth between red and green?

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm noticing that. If I have to buy another one I'll get it through a pool company and just pay the premium so I can get warranty support.

This is a new unit. The cable between the cell & switch is one wire (attached photo).

I will bring the salt level up and see if that helps.

When the cell starts up, yes I get the train crossing for a while. It eventually settles on "Low" after 5-10 minutes.IMG_20200331_105654.jpg

Replacement
It is then covered by Pentair. Replacement cells have a 2 year warranty, regardless of where you purchased it. Assuming you registered the warranty when you purchased it. If you did not, you may still be OK by calling them, as long as you have the invoice from your purchase.

I'm noticing that. If I have to buy another one I'll get it through a pool company and just pay the premium so I can get warranty support
The warranty was only for 1 year if it was purchased and installed from a licensed installer. If you only buy it from them it is a 90 day warranty. When I replaced mine last year, for literally half price, I figured I could buy a second one if it had problems. You had to buy 3 or more products to get the 3 year warranty. Several credit cards have 1 year protection on them for free. Look up the details on your card.

The warranty was only for 1 year if it was purchased and installed from a licensed installer. If you only buy it from them it is a 90 day warranty.
Incorrect. For Replacement ICXX cells there is a 2 year warranty - regardless of where purchased or whom it is installed by.

Reactions: Jimrahbe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Incorrect. For Replacement ICXX cells there is a 2 year warranty

I did the online registration last spring. I did it myself with my own eyes. If you bought the unit from a non brick and mortar retailer (amazon/eBay) it was a 30 day warranty. If you had the dealer name and address that sold it to you it was a 90 day warranty. If you had the dealer and address of the licenses installer it was a 1 year warranty. If you had 3 products installed by the licensed person it was a 3 year warranty.

there was no box to ‘check’ for self install of a replacement. I wrote down the LasVegas store as my dealer and installer. In the comments I wrote that I self installed as a replacement on the off chance it mattered.

Let's go with the assumption that it is NOT covered under warranty (I sent them an email, so hopefully they will get back to me -- if they say its covered under warranty, then great!).

Is the flow sensor the likely culprit? I don't mind tossing 50 bucks at it to see if this is the issue.

Would this be the replacement part?

Excuse me..... 60 days. Per Pentair:
TradeGrade products must be purchased from a retail store (brick & mortar), pool builder or pool service company to receive a one-year, two-year or three-year warranty. If purchased online will only receive a sixty-day limited warranty. View the list of TradeGrade Products

Scroll down to Sanitizers. For ICXX without Power Center. Two year warranty. Professional Install not necessary.

I personally would fight that. Not what their warranty states nor what others have had occur.

Up to you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.