New Iron problem suspected

jccams

May 22, 2010
Dexter, MI
I hope you folks can help me again. Here is the story.

I replaced a 16 year old liner in my inground pool end of June 2019. About 2 or 3 weeks after the 24,000 gallons of new water was put in I noticed the steps and swim out were turning brown. Against my better judgment and probably most of the folks here the liner installer convinced me to put a product in called "clear result". The swim out and steps did in fact turn white again and I followed the instructions running pump for 24 hours and then backwashing my DE filter. Fast forward to this year and the issue is obviously still there, so another bottle of clear result and for three weeks it was good then brown again. The only thing that removes the stain is ascorbic acid (aka vitamin C). I cleaned both steps and swim out with a sponge and the ascorbic acid and it lasts about a week until it is brown again. Below are a couple of pics showing the swim out partially cleaned with ascorbic acid and the rest not. Obviously the DE filter does not capture the iron. Never had this problem until the new water was put in after the liner replacement and I am on a well although I have very little iron in my water. Water company says there is no iron in their water, I disagree. Short of doing partial drains and refills as I can't drain the pool completely is there anything I can do to at least keep the iron in suspension so I do not have to look at this or clean weekly? Just kills me to think I paid $1600 bucks for this water. Side note this clear resolve makes my PH take a dive and eats chlorine for 2-3 days. Any help would be appreciated.
IMG_1645.jpgIMG_1644.jpg

Last edited:
I am on a well although I have very little iron in my water
That is your source of the iron in your pool. The well is providing the iron you see.

If you refill your pool water from that well, it will simply put more iron in your pool and the cycle continues forever.

You can......
1. Change your water source to iron free
2. Run your refill water through a whole house water softener
3. Continue to add sequestrants to your water forever to keep the iron in solution. The sequestrants "wear out" so must be continually dosed.

I only have one skimmer, If I am understanding correctly you put the polyfill in the skimmer. How tight do you pack it? Obviously my first choice is to remove the iron.

Seems to be some confusion here, maybe I was not clear. The water in the pool is NOT from my well, it was trucked in. I did however use fill water from my well for 16 years and never had this issue. I would like to not have to clean the steps and swim out weekly and get back to the way it used to be. What do I do to get the iron out of solution so it can be filtered out with poly fill. My water is always crystal clear, no tint and this is true even with the chlorine at slam levels for two days. It just does not seem like there is enough iron in this water to cause this, pool store tested and said no metals????

some of it is. How much fill from the well would you say you have added? That water has iron in it.

I think I am bad at conveying what is going on. I had this pool built 17 years ago, at that time water was also trucked in and I added fill water from my well for 16 years and never had an issue. I have next to no iron in my well water as confirmed more than once by people trying to sell me softeners.

Fast forward to last June. I had a new liner installed and water again trucked in 24,000 gallons worth. Within 3 weeks of the fill I had the condition shown in the pictures, which at that point I had added very little fill water from my well, certainly not 16 years worth. So I am 100% confident the problem I am having has nothing to do with my fill water, same well as I had 17 years ago.

What can I do to remove the iron that came in the water I purchased?

You can drain it off and refill with your well water or you can try to precipitate it out with a high level of chlorine.......an iffy method.
Well I had it up to slam levels for 48 hours and the water was crystal clear the whole time so that doesn't work. It is a vinyl liner pool so I cannot drain and refill, it would be multiple partial drains and refills. Sounds like what I'm hearing is there is really no way to get the iron out of the water in the pool so I just live with it. Maybe in a few years of lowering for winter it will get better, not really what I was hoping for but sounds like there is no real solution.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.