New Intex AGP owner! Need advice and expertise!

Newleaf

Bronze Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Portland, Oregon
So I bought a 15'x42" Intex pool, put it together, and came to the realization that our yard is more sloped than previously thought! Hired a landscaper who recommended not digging down because natural water drainage would be interrupted. We're in Portland, OR, where summers have gotten hotter, but we still get occasional rain and the water table is a bit higher where we live. He used fill dirt and packed it down. Now we're afraid of the dirt flattening and causing problems. Also, the area is further from the tree than it appears in the picture. I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 113
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 112
Welcome to TFP!

Drainage and settling are both valid concerns and need to be addressed. As it is right now, I would build a low retaining wall and rent a compactor and compact that soil, a lot, before putting a pool on it.

You can not build up with soil. Even if you do build a wall and compact it, compaction needs done in 3 " lifts.

Thanks everyone! You have been a big help with my decision to abandon the mound of dirt and relocate the pool to a more level location that is a patio area. It is made from molded pavers with what I think is decomposed granite with some crushed granite. Below the pavers and gravel is a mix of fine dirt or sand and rocks. Is very compact. The pool would sit two feet from the house and the hose and electrical outlet are nearby. I'm wondering if we would need a layer of sand or other material to even things out and then use a Gorilla pad?

Pics to come!

Thanks everyone! You have been a big help with my decision to abandon the mound of dirt and relocate the pool to a more level location that is a patio area. It is made from molded pavers with what I think is decomposed granite with some crushed granite. Below the pavers and gravel is a mix of fine dirt or sand and rocks. Is very compact. The pool would sit two feet from the house and the hose and electrical outlet are nearby. I'm wondering if we would need a layer of sand or other material to even things out and then use a Gorilla pad?

Pics to come!

Sounds better, but is that area level enough? Many patios are built to drop 1" every 5 feet or so in order to drain water away from the house. That would not be level enough. You need your pool within 1" of level from side to side.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.