New Install Intex Ultra Frame 32' x 16 help with plan and foam

Emlanham

Jun 2, 2020
Louisville Kentucky
Hello! After much combing and researching of this helpful board, I want to make sure I have the correct plan for our new pool set up...... We are installing a the Intex 32'x16 pool. We are having our yard professionally leveled. Could you helpful people please review our plan and let me know if it sounds correct and answer a foam/wood question?? TIA!

Here is our plan:
Yard professionally leveled
16x16x2 concrete pavers dug in level with the ground (to be butted up directly to foam sheets). We will be using the top frame for paver placement since I can't seem to figure that part out.
16 4x8 extruded foam sheets triple taped with gorilla tape as the padding
Intex ground cloth directly over the foam
2 8x16x16 pressure treated boards strapped together over the pavers (level with the foam) for legs to rest on.
Place liner on foam and cloth and let it relax in the sun (while having a much earned beverage from what I understand)
Finish installing frame and legs
Fill pool with a couple of inches of water and kick out wrinkles
Install filter and saltwater system and finish filling

Do these steps seem correct? I know the pavers and wood maybe overkill, but I want the wood per Intex specs and my husband wants the pavers, so here we are. Plus, I am afraid of cracking pavers. I am mostly following pncsmiths thread with all the wonderful pictures. Now for my question regarding foam....Does the foam need to be level with the wood that will be sitting on top of the pavers? The wood will end up being 1 1/2" above the ground on the pavers. We had planned on using 1 1/2 foam so everything will be the same height. However, we can save a few bucks using 3/4 thick foam but then the wood for the legs to sit on will be 3/4" higher. Does this matter? With all the money we have already spent, I want to do it correctly and if that means spending more for the 1 1/2" foam then we will. Is there anything else I am missing, have not thought about, or forgotten? Thanks so much and I promise to post pictures!

Erin

Wow. Can I call you guys to come do mine, next time? LOL

Your plan is impressive, to say the least. I’m not well-versed in the use of using wood or pavers, so I’m tagging someone to come comment. @Casey @duraleigh @zea3

Last edited:
Wow. Can I call you guys to come do mine, next time? LOL

Your plan is impressive, to say the least. I’m not well-versed in the use of using word or pavers, so I’m tagging someone to come comment. @Casey @duraleigh @zea3
@kellyfair Haha! We leveled the ground for a “free “ trampoline last weekend and were about ready to divorce. Professional leveling seemed like a cheaper option 😂

@kellyfair Haha! We leveled the ground for a “free “ trampoline last weekend and were about ready to divorce. Professional leveling seemed like a cheaper option 😂

I've divorced my husband n remarried him a 1,000 times in nearly 10 years. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Emlanham
Make sure you post build photos... we love stuff like that. And if I ever level again, I am paying someone else to do it!

Hello! After much combing and researching of this helpful board, I want to make sure I have the correct plan for our new pool set up...... We are installing a the Intex 32'x16 pool. We are having our yard professionally leveled. Could you helpful people please review our plan and let me know if it sounds correct and answer a foam/wood question?? TIA!

Here is our plan:
16x16x2 concrete pavers dug in level with the ground (to be butted up directly to foam sheets). We will be using the top frame for paver placement since I can't seem to figure that part out.
2 8x16x16 pressure treated boards strapped together over the pavers (level with the foam) for legs to rest on.
Place liner on foam and cloth and let it relax in the sun (while having a much earned beverage from what I understand)

Do these steps seem correct? I know the pavers and wood maybe overkill, but I want the wood per Intex specs and my husband wants the pavers, so here we are. Plus, I am afraid of cracking pavers. I am mostly following pncsmiths thread with all the wonderful pictures. Now for my question regarding foam....Does the foam need to be level with the wood that will be sitting on top of the pavers? The wood will end up being 1 1/2" above the ground on the pavers. We had planned on using 1 1/2 foam so everything will be the same height. However, we can save a few bucks using 3/4 thick foam but then the wood for the legs to sit on will be 3/4" higher. Does this matter? With all the money we have already spent, I want to do it correctly and if that means spending more for the 1 1/2" foam then we will. Is there anything else I am missing, have not thought about, or forgotten? Thanks so much and I promise to post pictures!

Erin
This is EXACTLY what we are doing as well. Literally down to the pavers and boards. Our landscaper is coming next week. Have you completed this yet as I would love to know how it came out. I'm glad though that we are thinking the same as I have stalked this page and have done a TON of research on installs. Hoping this will be what "I think" it will :)

Here is our plan:

Erin
[/QUOTE
The only difference is we are using a gorilla ground cover instead of foam insulation AND we are adding a 2" sand base that the landscapers are leveling as well.

It worked perfectly!! I took and will post a ton of pictures. Personally- I wouldn't bother with the sand or the gorilla ground cover. Our friends did that and you can feel lumps, bumps, divots, under your feet. the foam is COMPLETELY SMOOTH. It feels so good under your feet. While it was pricey (unsure how much sand is), it was worth it and our friends wished they had used....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi!
Newbie here planning to follow your steps as you minus the concrete pavers under the wood. Our pool is the 24’x12’ and I was hoping you could clarify a few things for me, please and thank you!

1) How big of an area did you have leveled?

2) Did you put the tarp over the foam, pavers, and wood? Or are the wood pieces above the tarp? And, what did you use to keep the wood pieces together to make 2x16x16?

Can you possibly post pictures so I can see what it looks like, please and thanks so much!

Here is our plan:

Erin
hello. i'm looking to install some pavers or blocks. I installed one inch board. I was wondering How did leveling the top of blocks with the top of foam? I was trying to figure out if I should be leveling it with ground or foam? Thank you

hello. i'm looking to install some pavers or blocks. I installed one inch board. I was wondering How did leveling the top of blocks with the top of foam? I was trying to figure out if I should be leveling it with ground or foam? Thank you
You’ve got answers in a couple of places. Take a look and then let us know in your main thread if you have any other question.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.