Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi All,

New to TFP! Definitely an awesome resource. I do not currently have a swimming pool. As my signature shows, my wife and I (and 4 little kids) are dreaming of one. Kids are between 1 and 8 years old. Hope is to build the pool by some point in 2021 (or sooner!). Lots of design planning and financial planning to do in the meantime. One of the biggest considerations is PB or OB. I never considered OB until recently looking at resources like TFP and having preliminary discussions with PB's showing quotes of $50K-$60K with some work left for us to do (i.e. fencing).

We currently live in Cleveland. We did have a swimming pool when we lived in western Ohio (20X40 IG 9' Deep w/Diving Board and lots of concrete space surrounded by chain link fence). That yard was 0.60 acres and our current yard is 0.40 acres. Always thought we'd just build another 20X40 but are really liking the possibilities of an L-Shaped. I always thought having a pool was a breeze to take care of: few chemicals here and here, run the vacuum regularly, and brush every now and then and voila, clean pool!

I'm hoping to get some insight into the build process and hopefully at some point be a resource for folks as well. Any help is greatly appreciated! Enjoy the summer and the heat wave (definitely wishing we had a pool this week and upcoming weekend!). Not that much fun hauling 4 kids including an infant to the community pool.

Go Indians (and soon enough Browns)!

Welcome to the forum. Have a peek at this sub-forum Under Construction and ask questions as they arise. There are always fresh builds going on. My pool was finished about a month ago, it's not an L shape but I do really like a lot of the L shaped pools I've seen.

Yes, taking care of a pool can be very simple if you do it right. This site is dedicated to teaching people how to properly maintain their pools. Adding only what is needed and only when it is needed. By coming here before you even have a pool you are setting yourself up for success!

Go Red Sox! (I just had to do that).

After watching them build my pool i would definitely OB if there was a next time. If i was bulding my first pool right now, i could probably find enough videos to sway me to OB. 7 years ago there was google and youtube, but not like today. I watched them build my pool like a hawk. Half from curiosity and half from excitement. I kicked myself for how easily i could have sub'd most of the work. At a $20k-ish savings. But i didnt know that until seeing it done. On the other side of the coin, i didnt lift a finger. I drank lemonade with my nose pressed against the sliding backdoors.

After watching them build my pool i would definitely OB if there was a next time. If i was bulding my first pool right now, i could probably find enough videos to sway me to OB. 7 years ago there was google and youtube, but not like today. I watched them build my pool like a hawk. Half from curiosity and half from excitement. I kicked myself for how easily i could have sub'd most of the work. At a $20k-ish savings. But i didnt know that until seeing it done. On the other side of the coin, i didnt lift a finger. I drank lemonade with my nose pressed against the sliding backdoors.
Thanks for the input. Good to hear that from someone who's gone the PB route and would try the OB.

Reactions: Newdude
I've been trying to find it, but can't find all of them. Is there a place on here that lists all of the abbreviations that are used? I went to the "Read This Before You Post" posting, but got a lot of the abbreviations. However, I think there's still some I'm confused about. Is there an acronym guide anywhere?