New In Ground Shotcrete Pool

palmettoinspect

Bronze Supporter
Jan 14, 2019
CHARLESTON
After three months of interviewing pool builders, learning and getting quotes, we finally have a signed contract with a very reputable pool builder for a 20x24 in ground shotcrete pool. I'm really thankful for this forum and the expert insight and knowledge already gained from this site. Please feel free to critique any details with the pool, its set up and or equipment. The pool will be for our small family, me, wife and two kids, 12 and 7.

I have attached a picture of the plan and the specs of the equipment and pool. Aside from an Intex above ground pool, this will be our first in-ground pool so our experience is very limited. The plans show just the pool as the builder will be responsible for the pool and we will do the exterior hardscape and decking after its completion. We plan to do grass/landscape around the two sides and rear of the pool and deck or do hardscape up to the front of the pool. The pool can sit 0-12" above ground. We will either build and slope the grade away from the pool or stucco the exterior shell. We have a site visit with the builder next Tuesday to discuss.

My better halfs "must have" was this huge tanning ledge. The entire tanning ledge will be 9". The builder has planned for a total of 5 returns and two skimmers to help with debris and water movement on the tanning ledge. With the two skimmers and only doing 12" of coping there's going to be the skimmers protruding past the pool coping. We plan to hide these with flower pots or something of the like. The skimmers and returns shown can be moved. Any help on the placement of the skimmers and returns for best performance please let me know. We would like to keep the skimmers symmetrical if possible since they will protrude out the coping.

Thanks!!!!!

57039884_10219527813531425_229747507289128960_o.jpg56679418_10219527850532350_370522207241109504_n.jpg57155415_10219527848972311_2768863247049162752_n.jpg51.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations!!!!

I have a tanning ledge, and I like it, but yours is a fairly large percentage of your pool. I would do a graph-paper payout with scale versions of the chairs/lounges she wants to see how it looks. Your wife might change her mind a bit. Or add some mounts in it to add a small table or umbrella for the future? Maybe cut the tanning ledge a bit and add a "seating" ledge where you could sit in the pool (I have that as well).

Others here are much more creative.....

Pal,

Welcome to TFP and congrats on your new pool project. This site is dedicated to helping people like you learn to use the TFP method to successfully care for your pool. We also have experts of every kind that will provide completely unbiased advice as you go down the pool construction process then help you keep a sparkling pool forever. You'll get lots of advice from people way more expert than me but I'll offer the following advice to get started:
  • Add some additional information like pool volume and equipment models. It will help people get the advice more specific.
  • Great choice to start with a salt pool! Make sure the model provided meets the TFP recommendation of 2x the rated capacity. This will help ensure long cell life.
  • What does "stub plumb for future mobile cleaning device"? Is this provision of valves and piping for a suction cleaner or just the pipe and penetration through the wall?
  • You have a choice on the filter of cartridge or DE. There are great arguments to go either way. Both work very well. I prefer cartridge but many experts like both. The most important thing is that it is sized adequately. Model numbers will help.
Good luck and please do keep us posted as you progress.

Chris

Congratulations!!!!

I have a tanning ledge, and I like it, but yours is a fairly large percentage of your pool. I would do a graph-paper payout with scale versions of the chairs/lounges she wants to see how it looks. Your wife might change her mind a bit. Or add some mounts in it to add a small table or umbrella for the future? Maybe cut the tanning ledge a bit and add a "seating" ledge where you could sit in the pool (I have that as well).

Others here are much more creative.....

The sitting area is a great idea!!! We did toy with the idea of in-setting the steps into the ledge to create this kind of area.

We plan on getting the ledge loungers and table that will accept an umbrella that can be moved around to our desired area of the tanning ledge.

Her idea on the tanning ledge is one side for the adults and the other side for the kids since they both with get a lot of use of the tanning ledge.

I am going to just go down the list to make sure I don't miss anything. If I repeat what was said above........oh well LOL At least you will know it really stands out as needing attention.
-Model numbers for all pieces of equipment-VERY important for down the road.
-tile for the steps and edge of the shelf aka marker tiles-want or not want? I say want as they help people see the edge.
-have the PB define what "deluxe cleaning and vacuum tools" means please-ask about what test kit he will provide
-I see you will have an auto-fill BUT what about an overflow pipe? That will be helpful when you get big rains.
-deck jets-make sure these are plumbed AFTER the filter. They are very picky about their water being clean and can clog easily
-SWG-size? TFP suggest getting 2x the rated size of your pool. This will save on power to less pump time.
-main drain cover-have you seen THESE? http://www.poolfittings.com/channel-pebble-top
-IF you allow him to add the stub make sure it can be blocked off so no kids get hurt if the valve gets opened when the pump is on. Better safe than sorry on this one.
-I would have the shelf returns further back to help push stuff off the shelf. I might even have them very low on the wall right by the shelf top.
-I LOVE the idea of cutting the steps into the shelf. That leaves a wonderful swim lane that way.
-Grass that close to the pool=have fun mowing and keeping it out of the pool!!! Something to think and talk about.

I think I covered everything I noticed. This is going to be an awesome pool/area for your family!!! Thanks for letting us help you spend your money LOL :hug:

Kim:kim:

Reactions: setsailsoon
Thank you all so much for the advice. I'm not having any luck convincing the wife to recess the steps into the tanning ledge, but I'm really liking the idea so will continue to plant the seed. PB has pulled the permit and I'm working on running the feeder to where the equipment will be set, setting up the self-latching gates and installing the door sensors on our exterior doors. We have about another 3 weeks until breaking ground.

In the meantime, I've been reading up about Wetedge 28 day start up guide and we've been steaking out the pool area.

I have the pool equipment info below. The pool will be 17,000 gallons.

Pump – Pentair #011056
Filter - Pentair #160332
Automation – Pentair # 520592
Intelliph – Pentair #521377

Oh so very smart to make your ledge 9" deep! You can't enjoy the whole concept of the ledge with only your ankles in the water! And although they are more expensive, I am really glad we went with the pop-up cleaners vs. the creepy unit, so very simple, nothing we have to do with them, stow away, etc. Just sayin' in case you were on the fence on these.
Do pop on over to the Poolside Paradise forum, as I have a photo there of the drink cup table I found at Old Time Pottery you have one there in Charleston, so a thought for the umbrella holders - you can put the umbrellas through the hole in the table.
I strongly suggest some type of edge marker for the ledge and the steps! It can be quite jarring to step off into an area deeper than perceived. I wish I had added more to my pool.
Gorgeous layout, and I think you have a good balance of swim about space and lounge about space. Enjoy!

Reactions: palmettoinspect

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Reactions: palmettoinspect
Got the latest plan back from the builder with the skimmers and returns placed.

I'm most torn about the deep end depth. I wanted the depth because the kids love jumping into the pool and I figured the deeper the better. I want to go as deep as possible, but looking that there will only be 6' of deep end and 9' of slope has me concerned and wonder how much deep end I'll gain by going 5'6"?

How awkward is the slope area of the pool and do people tend to avoid that area or is it just not that big of a deal?Screenshot (5).pngScreenshot (6).pngScreenshot (7).png

Last edited:
Try this to see what the slop will be like:

4' to 6' then try 4' to 5'6"

Look at where the 4' will hit the shortest adult in the family that lives there.

Kim,

I'm afraid 4' will be too deep. Our youngest is 7 and although growing quickly he is under 4' now and lots of younger cousins we want to keep the shallow end 3'6. This was coming up from 3' the wife wanted initially.

I'm also wondering if we could make the shallow end 6' instead of 9' so we can make the 6' deep end 9'? I'm not sure if I'm saying that correctly lol!

Personally I would cut steps in to the deep end of the tanning ledge, give your family and friends 3-5 steps out of the deep end headed to the ledge.

That is a very large ledge and unless your dead seat on chaise tanning give some thought to reducing it. Wife and I float around more that in a chaise....

John a thought!

John

• Love
Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.