New In Ground Pool owner, best way to test water?

aberberich

Oct 25, 2021
Dayton, OH
Hello TFP!
We are the proud new owners of an in ground vinyl lined pool (yayyy). I was wondering what is the best way to test my water? A neighbor/friend who has a pool recommended simply taking it up to our local pool store where they will test it for free weekly and making adjustments. However I am interested in some of the home options. I've noticed a few app based options (WaterGuru, Sutro) that allow me to check levels from my phone and then adjust accordingly. Does TFP have a recommendation on which of these is the best? Or am I better off simply taking the water to the pool store?

Thanks!!

Welcome to the forum!
You will find TFPC is quite a bit different than pool store methods. We advocate the pool owner doing their own water testing with a proper test kit. See Test Kits Compared
I suggest the TF-100 or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: Newdude
Hey Aber and Welcome !! The UV from the sun (and also swimming) will consume chlorine daily. As such you need to test daily and many times your schedule doesn’t line up with pool store hours. Then through many factors without your best interest at heart, (a wonky tester that’s out of calibration, inattention by the employee, or a recent summer hire that doesn’t know squat), you might as well throw a dart at the wall and get a similar accuracy to their ‘free tests’. Said free tests also open the door for them to gouge you with many unneeded/overpriced chemicals.

We have nothing to sell you but good will and will gladly teach you how to be your own pro.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.