New IG Pool - Question on Filter, Pump, and Heater Placement

91stealthes

Apr 23, 2019
Long Island, NY
Hello and great forum.

I am in the process of putting in a 20 x 40 in-ground pool and have a question of the placement of the filter, pump, and heater. I would like to place the equipment approximately 35 feet behind the pool next to a shed I will be building. Is this acceptable? The skimmers are located on the opposite side of the pool. I have 2 skimmers, dual main, and 4 returns.

It was suggested that I put the equipment within 35 feet of the center of the two skimmers, which would put the equipment on the side of the pool directly in line with skimmers.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks for any help. Equipment list below and I have attached photos of the process so far.

Jandy CV460 Filter
Jandy FHPM 2.0 Pump
Jandy JXi400 Heater

Cheers,
J

IMG_3645.JPGIMG_3657.JPGIMG_3708.JPGIMG_3709.JPGIMG_3713.JPGIMG_3717.JPG

Welcome to TFP.

No reason you can't put the equipment where your new shed will be. Sounds like whoever is trying to steer you where the piping is easiest for them.

Thanks, I don't know enough as to if it will affect the gpm too drastically or not. I was trying to figure out the total dynamic head, but its confusing and I'm not sure I am doing it correctly.

I have 2" piping on returns and 3 of the 4 returns. One return is 1.5", which I think may be for the robot (Polaris 280).

Total distance run would be about 70-75 feet (35 foot from the middle of the skimmers to a 90 elbow with another straight run of 35-40 foot).

FYI, also doing salt

Get a variable speed pump if you are doing SWCG. Unless your electricity cost is very low.

Don't tie the skimmers together in the middle.

Run a 2" line from each skimmer to the equipment.

Get a variable speed pump, not a single speed pump.

I recommend automation and a SWG.

Get a variable speed pump if you are doing SWCG. Unless your electricity cost is very low.

Thanks. I'll inquire about the 2-speed.

I saw you mention a lot regarding SW. I've read one of your posts indicating the generator should be able to perform double the volume of the pool. Doing the math, my pool seems to be around 34,500 gallons (20x40 with 3.5 to 4 foot shallow with 8 foot deep). The SWCG to be installed is a Jandy PLC1400, which can do 40,000 gallons. The highest I have seen is 60,000 with the Pentair IntelliChlor IC60. Does it really need to be able to perform double the volume and if so, any recommendations?

Don't tie the skimmers together in the middle.

Run a 2" line from each skimmer to the equipment.

Get a variable speed pump, not a single speed pump.

I recommend automation and a SWG.

Skimmers are not tied together in the middle. It was suggested to use the mid-point of the skimmers as my distance reference and keep my equipment around 35 feet from there. Why can't the skimmers couple before the equipment?

Going to inquire about the 2-speed.

Have a Jandy PLC1400 SWCG.

New pool owner question, what is automation?

The picture shows that the skimmers are tied together. I would change that.

For a new pool, you really should get a variable speed pump. The cost difference between a variable speed pump and a two speed pump should be negligible.

Automation is what controls everything. It's important when you have a variable speed pump and a SWG so that they work together.

You can get an automation box with a subpanel for all of the equipment and a SWG power supply included.

With the automation box with included subpanel, you run the main power to the box. Then, you have breakers for the equipment that feed individual relays that turn on and off equipment manually or by timers.

A single speed pump with no automation is obsolete design.

You don't want the skimmers tied together because the extra resistance of both skimmer flows going through a single line.

Another reason to keep them separate is if one gets a leak or clog, the other will still work until you can get the leak or clog fixed.

Another reason is so that you can control each skimmer individually.

6614AP-L. Jandy Pro Series PureLink Power Center, Sub-Panel (700 and 1400)

Jandy | PureLink Power Center

https://www.jandy.com/-/media/zodiac/global/downloads/sa/sa6465.pdf

The PureLink power center is the same as the Aqualink RS power center except that it comes with the chlorine generator transformer, chlorine generator user interface and chlorine generator power interface.

The RS-P4 comes with 4 relays. One is always for the pump. The other 3 are called Auxiliary (aux) relays. One would be for the booster pump and one could be for the light.

The RS-P6 comes with 6 relays.

Adding iAqualink gives you a web interface that makes it easier to control everything from anywhere.

https://www.iaqualink.com/en/support/iq20

Jandy | iAquaLink 2.0

So, you need a power center (6614AP-L), cell (PLC1400), system board (RS-P4 or RS-P6) and an automation interface (iQ20-A).

The 1400 cell should be fine for your pool. With a variable speed pump, you can run as long as you need per day to generate enough chlorine and the cost to run the pump is insignificant at lower rpm.

If you get the larger variable speed pump, you can run it at a lower rpm so that it is quieter.

For normal operation, you can run at about 20 gpm. During heating, you want about 40 gpm.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.