New IG pool install - startup / balancing question

SirNoSplashing

Jul 17, 2022
Ohio
tl;dr - New IG fiberglass pool owner; first time pool owner. Do you SLAM when water is "brand new" ? Super-chlorinate with SWG, dump chlorine, or both at beginning?

Hello, I've been a lurker and want to say thanks to this community for the great information I have accessed thus far. Hopefully I can contribute in some way. For now, I am seeking help. I have found advice on this forum about balancing chemistry, SLAM method, etc. It is not clear to me what to do for a brand new pool. Water is clear, and between pool install and getting equipment hooked up I added 12.5% liquid chlorine around perimeter of pool to keep it clear. With no pump, I had my Dolphin robot running multiple times a day to help move water around and mix up the chlorine (bought that in advance). Long story short, this worked for keeping the water clear and now I have equipment hooked up. I tested the water with test strips I already had (better kit on the way per this forums recommendation), and it shows no chlorine... as expected. Full sun and fresh water, it just gets eaten up I presume. I have a SWG and have that on superchlorinate setting. 3100 PPM of salt. I realized I should get some CYA in the system so my chlorine doesn't disappear. I put 4# stabilizer in socks in the skimmer and hopefully by tomorrow this is dissolved. Based on the calcs this really only gets me halfway there. I have another 4# in waiting, and can put that in after.
Even though my water is brand new and clear, should I get CYA up to appropriate levels then use the SLAM method until it holds chlorine? Then let my SWG maintain after that? I still have 12.5% liquid chlorine jugs I can use to speed things up. I could not find threads on process for brand new pool installation. My pool installer is great at installs, but after talking to him, he is no SME on pool chemistry. I am better off with the experts here.

Hopefully my pool specs show up in the signature...

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Assuming you have no plaster for waterline tile, there is no waiting, need to SLAM or super chlorinate. New water has no CYA and it needs it. I would use a moderate CYA (salt pool) target of 60 for now. You can always add 10 ppm more later. Once those socks have soaked for about 30 min, squeeze, squeeze squeeze. Don't wait. Get that stuff out of the socks.

Place the SGW on a desired setting (i.e. 50%) and use liquid to increase the FC right away to the recommended level as noted for a salt pool on the FC/CYA Levels. In your area I wouldn't surprised if your TA is high, but just focus on the pH for now keeping it anywhere in the 7 range. Once you get your test kit, post a full set of numbers and we'll help you some more. Congrats! :swim:

Reactions: SirNoSplashing
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Assuming you have no plaster for waterline tile, there is no waiting, need to SLAM or super chlorinate. New water has no CYA and it needs it. I would use a moderate CYA (salt pool) target of 60 for now. You can always add 10 ppm more later. Once those socks have soaked for about 30 min, squeeze, squeeze squeeze. Don't wait. Get that stuff out of the socks.

Place the SGW on a desired setting (i.e. 50%) and use liquid to increase the FC right away to the recommended level as noted for a salt pool on the FC/CYA Levels. In your area I wouldn't surprised if your TA is high, but just focus on the pH for now keeping it anywhere in the 7 range. Once you get your test kit, post a full set of numbers and we'll help you some more. Congrats! :swim:

Thanks so much for the help! I got home from work today and superchlorinate worked. Looks like I am around 3 on FC. "massaged" the socks and they are close to empty. Need to drop at least one more sock in, that would be 6# of CYA. Want to inch my way there. No CYA is registering yet, but I just put them in yesterday so I am not surprised based on my learning. Just happy to see chlorine. I will continuously inch FC and CYA up to get to the chart levels. After that I can adjust TA, which is around 40. Unless there is no harm in putting in the baking soda now....

Don't base your CYA testing even temporarily on the guess strip. Be absolutely sure nobody besides you dropped chems in the water and don't go all the way to 60 without using a real kit. Put in enough for 40 and then let things run making sure you have the FC accordingly right. When the kit comes do the full list of tests and then go from those results.

Don't base your CYA testing even temporarily on the guess strip. Be absolutely sure nobody besides you dropped chems in the water and don't go all the way to 60 without using a real kit. Put in enough for 40 and then let things run making sure you have the FC accordingly right. When the kit comes do the full list of tests and then go from those results.

I appreciate this. Full test kit should hopefully be here Friday, and the reason I have been cautious with adding too much CYA. The pool math calculator suggested 8 pounds (to get to 60), and I put in 4 pounds, so I should be safe. Nobody put anything else in the pool, so I am good there as well. I will hold on any more CYA and continue to keep an eye on chlorine.

My TA is low. Any risk to adding half the recommended amount of baking soda now, then topping off after I get the real test kit? Or is there no reason to rush this one....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.