New IG pool build - please advise!

Apr 10, 2018
California
Hi all - a newbie pool owner here looking for feedback on design!

pool.jpg

Above is an overhead image of our current plan - covered patio on the left/West side and a small run of fake grass on the top/North side of the pool.

The pool dimension is 12'x32'. We wanted a hot tub, a baja shelf, and sport pool depth (it ranges in depth from 3'6" to 4'6" in the "deep end"). We wanted the hot tub and baja shelf entrance to be on the patio side (12' side) because we have small kids and want to be able to watch them.

As you can see in the image, the current design is:
1. 8'x7' hot tub
2. 3'4" corridor entrance to the pool - pictured are two initial steps down to baja shelf level (22" down from coping; approx 16" of water depth). Baja shelf is pictured in the darker, smaller tile (to differentiate it from the hot tub and the rest of the pool). The baja shelf is an L shape.
3. The baja shelf will also have a few recessed steps at its end (that match the two entrance steps in width and alignment) to step down into the 3'6" pool depth. Therefore, there is essentially a long, corridor entrance to the pool itself that requires walking all the way along the baja shelf.

One other caveat - because we want to include an undermount automatic pool cover and the housing for that cover is pretty big (apparently a minimum of 32"), it turns out the pool length has to shrink from the +/- 19' indicated in this design to +/- 18'.

Would love feedback on this design - it meets our criteria, but is it too funky? Are there areas we should cut, expand, modify, etc? Suggestions welcome and much appreciated!

I also really like your design! Very well thought out! What would help me the most would be to see where this pool is going and maybe it outlined with hoses or such to really see what is what.

The steps and baja shelf............I see the two steps down to the rest. Are you saying that will also step down to the shelf? I am a little unsure of what you mean there.

Kim:kim:

I also really like your design! Very well thought out! What would help me the most would be to see where this pool is going and maybe it outlined with hoses or such to really see what is what.

The steps and baja shelf............I see the two steps down to the rest. Are you saying that will also step down to the shelf? I am a little unsure of what you mean there.

Thanks Kim! The two steps go down to the shelf (the shelf depth is the darker checked section that is L-shaped). I just mean that there will be two additional steps that are part of the overall L-shaped baja depth that will allow people to go down to the regular pool depth. Does that make sense? Would also welcome feedback as to whether 18' of regular pool depth (i.e., 3'6" to 4'6" depth level) is sufficient, or whether we should take some back from the baja shelf or hot tub to make that part of the pool span longer.

Does the baja steps to the main part of the pool go all the way across the shelf? That would be a great hang out spot!

Have you thought about just making the main part of the pool one depth? 4'6" would be my pick for it! Why bother sloping it?

Does the baja steps to the main part of the pool go all the way across the shelf? That would be a great hang out spot!

Have you thought about just making the main part of the pool one depth? 4'6" would be my pick for it! Why bother sloping it?

Thanks for the advice, Kim!! Currently the steps aren't all the way across (they just match the width of the first two steps into the shelf), but they could be! Also, great suggestion about the depth! Just thought might be nice for kids to have a shallower place to stand - do you think 4'6" is preferable, though? Is the 1' slope over 18' too steep?

The 1' over 18' is NOTHING for a slope to tell the truth. It is just that kids grow and they have the shelf for there playing needs right now. What I would do is measure the adults in the house. Where would the water hit the shortest one at 3.5', 4', 4.5'? Go from there. Your pool kind is a spool=social pool! Made for family and friends together having a great time!!

The shallower the water is the faster it will heat up. You may be looking for a ways to cool the pool down by the middle towards the end of the summer. We can help with that also!

The 1' over 18' is NOTHING for a slope to tell the truth. It is just that kids grow and they have the shelf for there playing needs right now. What I would do is measure the adults in the house. Where would the water hit the shortest one at 3.5', 4', 4.5'? Go from there. Your pool kind is a spool=social pool! Made for family and friends together having a great time!!

The shallower the water is the faster it will heat up. You may be looking for a ways to cool the pool down by the middle towards the end of the summer. We can help with that also!

Thanks Kim! Great point about preferring the 18’ of deeper water given thebaja shelf. One thing that would help me is to understand what function we could even get out of 18’. For example, is it long enough to split into a “court” to play water volleyball with a few adults? If so, I might be interested in keeping it shallow enough for that use. Or maybe even a deck-mounted basketball hoop? Are there any recommended water depth and lengths for those activities? If it’s too small for either of those, I’m inclined toward the 4’6” standard depth you’re mentioning. Btw the family is not super tall. Tallest is 5’9”.

Go out to where the pool will be and use some bring rope to rope off the 18' pool part of the pool making sure to have it as wide as your pool will be. I have to "see" things like this to really see what I am working with.

Here is a FUN game to play in the pool: About | Watermelon Ball - The Ultimate Swimming Pool Game

I like the idea of the basketball hoop as well. I would put it in the middle of the long edge.

You should be able to have a great game of volley ball in 18'! No one will notice it is not regulation size.........they will have fun playing in the pool!

NOW what are your thoughts???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Go out to where the pool will be and use some bring rope to rope off the 18' pool part of the pool making sure to have it as wide as your pool will be. I have to "see" things like this to really see what I am working with.

Here is a FUN game to play in the pool: About | Watermelon Ball - The Ultimate Swimming Pool Game

I like the idea of the basketball hoop as well. I would put it in the middle of the long edge.

You should be able to have a great game of volley ball in 18'! No one will notice it is not regulation size.........they will have fun playing in the pool!

NOW what are your thoughts???

I’m convinced! Now what’s your pool depth recommendation? Still all one depth? If so, what’s the ideal depth for these water games? I assume it’s all relative for people of different heights. Chest deep? Waist deep? Between?

Right at the arm pits of the shortest adult living at the house. That is who has to live with the pool and if it is too deep for THEM to be comfortable that is not good. Now if they are extra short...............all bets are off on them LOL My above ground pool is 54" wall height with the water height is at 50" when it is in the middle of the skimmer. I am 5'5" and the water hits me right in the middle of the chest. I spend a lot of time with my legs bent to get more of my body in the water. If the water is over my shoulders I am not as happy as I am when the water is just at my arm pits. Now that is me............talk to the others in your house with a tape measure in your hand to show them the different depths.

If you are using this as a "sport" pool-volley ball, basket ball, watermelon ball I would think one depth would be the best. No worries about ending up where it ends up over your head or nose.

Want to know what MY purrfect pool would be??? L shaped! The bottom of the L would be the shallow end, all one depth for sports....the tall part would be a "bowl" for diving! I would have it 8' deep for some GOOD diving. I would have a rope to separate the two areas with a safety pool rope. This will never happen but if I ever did build a in ground pool................sigh darn budgets and goals :roll:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.