New IG Pool Build - Buckeye (Phoenix) AZ - Excited and Impatient!

Looks like my pool josh designed haha

Wow, I have now seen 5 of Josh's free-form pools and all of them are the same, LOL. He definitely has a style. Your pool is beautiful. It appears that we have the same size, Hayward VS pump, same equipment, even sun shelf and stairs set up the same, we just did not get the pebble interior and we have 2 LED color lights.

Our steel is going in tomorrow. I am getting sooooooo excited! :)

A couple of questions.....what is the best way to add chlorine to the pool? Liquid, tablets, Clorox? LOL

Any opinions on whether we should get an automated chlorine feeder? I found a Pentair Off-line automatic chlorinator for about $57 on Amazon and it looks super easy to install. I want to make it as easy as possible. I am looking at the Pentair Rainbow 300 and the Hayward CL220. Any opinions on which one is best?

I have a Hayward TriStar VS Pump.......not sure if that matters or not.

You may have been LOLing but Clorox and Liquid are the same and the correct answers. Tabs will eventually cause your CYA level (stabilizer level) to become too high for you to maintain the proper FC to CYA ratio. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, then a trip to Pool School for some reading and re-reading would be your best bet. It's not rocket science but does take repetition before you will start to get it.

You may have been LOLing but Clorox and Liquid are the same and the correct answers. Tabs will eventually cause your CYA level (stabilizer level) to become too high for you to maintain the proper FC to CYA ratio. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, then a trip to Pool School for some reading and re-reading would be your best bet. It's not rocket science but does take repetition before you will start to get it.

Seriously? I was just kidding around.......I had no idea that Clorox can/should be used! I have not had pool school yet, the PB said they do pool school on the last day to show us how everything works. Now I really can't wait to find all this info out. Is there anything on this forum about the Clorox thing that I can read about in the meantime?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, SNAP! I just noticed the Pool School tab at the top of the page! ROFL! I am a little slow, you will have to bare with me. I like to blame it on my MS but the truth of the matter is......I am just a dingbat!

I would imagine you were referring to the Pool School on this site? LOL. I am going there now.....will stand in the corner with the dunce hat on for a few minutes first, just for good measure. Thanks so much for your help!

No worries...and yes Pool School on this site! Best other recommendation besides PS is to not mix TFP advice with any other advice. It's all or nothing! Really about education and a recommended test kit being power.

BTW - Self-deprecating humor is hilarious! (Within reason of course).

Diva, I have THE link for you for what we use in our pools. Now do NOT go out and buy any of it until you have tested your fill water. You might not not need it all.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

You will find most of the stuff we use can be bought at Target or Walmart! How neat is that????

I am also going to point you to a area of the forum that will have just about EVERYTHING about how to care for a pool. There is a LOT of into here.

Pool School - Table of Contents

BUT I want you to promise me that you will ask any and all questions or concerns you might have okay???

Kim

:flower:

We're like good cop/bad cop. I'm like "Go to school!" and Kim's like, all southern syrupy sweet, "and we're to help you!"

We're like good cop/bad cop. I'm like "Go to school!" and Kim's like, all southern syrupy sweet, "and we're to help you!"

Diva, I have THE link for you for what we use in our pools. Now do NOT go out and buy any of it until you have tested your fill water. You might not not need it all.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

You will find most of the stuff we use can be bought at Target or Walmart! How neat is that????

I am also going to point you to a area of the forum that will have just about EVERYTHING about how to care for a pool. There is a LOT of into here.

Pool School - Table of Contents

BUT I want you to promise me that you will ask any and all questions or concerns you might have okay???

Kim

:flower:

No worries...and yes Pool School on this site! Best other recommendation besides PS is to not mix TFP advice with any other advice. It's all or nothing! Really about education and a recommended test kit being power.

BTW - Self-deprecating humor is hilarious! (Within reason of course).

I am devastated! According to the Pool School page on start-up, I can't swim for the first 30 days! I must have read something wrong :( I can't wait that long! I will surely end up in a straitjacket! Oh, how I hope this is not true. I feel like I just hit the Powerball but then found out that someone buried the winning ticket underneath the pool that was just built in my back yard! 30 days? That is insane! And speaking of insane............................... ROFL!

A little off-topic (a little, lol, right!) but the other day I was thinking that this would be the absolute best and most opportunistic time to bury a body in the dirt, under where the pool is being built! Once they put all that steel and pour the plaster and concrete.....I bet a million bloodhounds would never sniff it out! ROFL! Now, I need you all to know that I am just kidding. I am in no way deranged enough to actually do something like this, and even if I was, I am in a wheel chair so I don't have the ability to do it, even if I wanted to....but I was thinking that back in the mobster days they must have done it and got away with it many times! See, I told you it was a "little" off-topic. Haha

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am devastated! According to the Pool School page on start-up, I can't swim for the first 30 days! I must have read something wrong :( I can't wait that long! I will surely end up in a straitjacket! Oh, how I hope this is not true. I feel like I just hit the Powerball but then found out that someone buried the winning ticket underneath the pool that was just built in my back yard! 30 days? That is insane! And speaking of insane............................... ROFL!

A little off-topic (a little, lol, right!) but the other day I was thinking that this would be the absolute best and most opportunistic time to bury a body in the dirt, under where the pool is being built! Once they put all that steel and pour the plaster and concrete.....I bet a million bloodhounds would never sniff it out! ROFL! Now, I need you all to know that I am just kidding. I am in no way deranged enough to actually do something like this, and even if I was, I am in a wheel chair so I don't have the ability to do it, even if I wanted to....but I was thinking that back in the mobster days they must have done it and got away with it many times! See, I told you it was a "little" off-topic. Haha

MAN we HAVE to change that! It depends on what kind of start up you use! If you do the acid start up where they add the plaster then come back the next day to wash it with acid. As soon as they wash it with acid they start filling it with water.

Ask your PB what kind of start up they plan on doing.

Some PB have even written this into their "Start up" directions:

-as soon as water is to the middle of the skimmer JUMP IN!!

So did I talk you off of the ledge? Oh wait that is another way to get rid of a body! LOL

BUT Diva you will not be able to run the heater for about 30 days I am sorry to say. The dust from the new plaster can mess it up :(

Pools and driveway/parking lots would both be good ways to hide a body!

Kim

I'm guessing that's been on a crime drama at some point...maybe? Seems reasonable. If the pool is full of water that would seem to help the case. Concrete alone would prevent the canine from digging, but perhaps not from smelling the "requirement for a murder".

MAN we HAVE to change that! It depends on what kind of start up you use! If you do the acid start up where they add the plaster then come back the next day to wash it with acid. As soon as they wash it with acid they start filling it with water.

Ask your PB what kind of start up they plan on doing.

Some PB have even written this into their "Start up" directions:

-as soon as water is to the middle of the skimmer JUMP IN!!

So did I talk you off of the ledge? Oh wait that is another way to get rid of a body! LOL

BUT Diva you will not be able to run the heater for about 30 days I am sorry to say. The dust from the new plaster can mess it up :(

Pools and driveway/parking lots would both be good ways to hide a body!

Kim

Yes! Thank you for clearing that up! I was about to cry....seriously! I don't think we will have to worry about the heater because in 3 weeks from now it will be at least 100 degrees every day until October! By late April it is 100 every day and then in July/Aug it is 110+ much of the time. I hate the heat, no idea why I moved to H. E. Double Hockey Sticks to live. LOL

It's nice to know I am not the only one with homicidal thoughts! LOL

I'm guessing that's been on a crime drama at some point...maybe? Seems reasonable. If the pool is full of water that would seem to help the case. Concrete alone would prevent the canine from digging, but perhaps not from smelling the "requirement for a murder".

It depends on the dog.....my little 10 pound Maltese can smell his favorite treat, a mini Jumbone, from miles away! If I buried one out there right now, he would gnaw through the plaster until he got to it...HAHA!

shhhhhhhh Shane don't say the bleach word.........say chlorine instead............not sure why that works but it keeps this from happening :shock: LOL

ALWAYS talk to the PB about how he wants the pool started. He is the one with the warranty card so what he says goes. You can share the TFP way and see what he says. Most PB are NOT used to people who really know how to care for their pool.

Funny story about a PB and the test kit. One of our members brought out their test kit to show the PB. The PB was quite impressed. He asked the owner to show him how to do the tests. When the owner did AND showed him the other stuff from TFP the PB let the owner do the testing and the PB provided the acid and such to keep the pool up. The owner would text the PB every day for the first while just to check in. The PB said "I have never seen anyone that could take care of their pool this well". All thanks to TFP!

Kim

The rebar was placed yesterday and electrical will be completed today. City inspection is set for early Monday morning and shocrete is scheduled for Tuesday, concrete pour for decking set for Wednesday! I spoke with the pb yesterday and they said barring any unforeseen circumstances, we will be swimming by April 26th! That is just 6 weeks from the day I met with them for a quote! I don't know if this is unusually fast, but I think it is, especially since the other 2 pb's I was contemplating using said they could not even start excavation until mid-late April! My pool will be completed and I will be swimming before the other 2 pb's would even break ground! I am so happy right now. :)

We also found 2 different licensed and bonded concrete companies to do acrylic concrete stamping for $3 sf. and we settled on the design and pattern for the faux stone. I will share that and a Google Earth photo of our house so you can see how the colors will look together. Both companies said that if we would have went through them for whole thing, meaning concrete pour and decoration (acrylic stamping/faux flagstone) that they would have charged $6 sf.! That is $3 sf. for the concrete decking and $3 sf. for the stamping! We paid our pb $9 sf. for the concrete decking to be poured and $4 sf. for the acrylic lace! At least we got them to agree to refund us for the acrylic lace and let us find a company to do it on our own. I really want to call them and tell them to just build the pool and not worry about the decking....we will do that on our own too, but I am afraid they will kill me if I make one more change/adjustment to the cost of the pool. Hindsight is 20/20, if there is ever a next time for a pool build, I will definitely be doing an owner build!

rebar1.jpg
rebar3.jpg

10.jpg

patio.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.