New IG build League City, TX

Not sure where I should post this so I’ll ask here. We are forecast to get anywhere from 5-12inches of rain Thursday night to Friday evening. Our city doesn’t allow overflow lines. We have deck drains and can drain to waste on the pumps. My deck is sloped well so water goes straight to the drains. Should I drain off some water or just let it overflow if it gets too high? I won’t be home tonight so I thought I’d ask for some advice.

Just to update, the pool is great and we love our TFP pool!
I’ll have to take some better pictures over the summer to update. But here’s a few for now.

Reactions: Tena
Kim,

This may be a dumb question but does 5-8inches of rain equate to 5-8inches of rise in pool water level?

Gus,

My PB said the city doesn’t allow it and that they disagreed with it. He said the county is OK with overflow lines but not the city. That’s why I have a line to waste. I don’t know why it mattered. It’s all going to the sewer.

Last edited:
Yes rain quantity equals rise in pool water height. Unless like me, a small portion of your decks slopes towards the pool! Then you get a bonus. Thankfully it’s a small area with no dirt possible.

Yes rain quantity equals rise in pool water height. Unless like me, a small portion of your decks slopes towards the pool! Then you get a bonus. Thankfully it’s a small area with no dirt possible.

I’m hoping we don’t get that much rain but it’s up to Mother Nature. Luckily, the deck either drains to the yard or the drains. I’m sure the drains would catch the overflow, but I don’t want to find out.

League City did make me run a backwash line with a p-trap to my main sewer line that will never get used because I don't have a backwash. But LC didn't care, it's in the requirements so had to do it. ugh

I have a back wash line to a p-trap. That’s what I have to use to drain my pool. Is your backwash line not connected? I see you don’t need it as you got an overflow line. I don’t and neither did tldude876(he lives in LC too). Tldude’s pool was built just before mine. I wish I had an overflow line. It would have been a lot simpler and I wouldn’t worry about overflowing.

Last edited:
The NW and SW got hammered on Tuesday. Tonight, we got hammered but I’m not home. I hope it’s not too bad when I get home tomorrow. IF I can get home tomorrow. What kind of drain do you have Poolbella?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I drained the pool around midnight last night as the water got up to the coping. It took around 20 minutes to get it to the lower level of the tile. When I woke up this morning the water was halfway up the tile which is the ideal level. Thankfully the rain wasn't as bad as Harvey. If you leave you pump off overnight I would drain the pool to just above where the plaster meets the tile in anticipation of rainfall. Check it the morning to make sure the level is at least halfway up the tile when the pump starts in the morning.

I came home to a small mess. A small tornado wreaked havoc on our neighborhood. Luckily, we just lost a small section of fence. Our patio furniture got blown off the deck but it’s ok. We were fortunate compared to others so I feel blessed it wasn’t worse. The pool was filled with leaves and we don’t have any trees in our backyard. Scooped out as much as I could and the Tigershark did the rest. The pool probably overflowed last night. When I came home it was all the way to the very top of the coping. Seems like the deck drains did their job. I drained down to about an inch above the plaster in anticipation of tonight’s 4-8-inches of rain. I checked my chemistry and it was a little off from last weeks test. My CH dropped from 300 to 250 and my TA went from 110 to 90. Everything else was the same. I don’t mind the rain, but I could do without the tornado.

• Wow
Reactions: kimkats
It was quite scary. Just glad the house is ok. I figure a lot of water must’ve overflowed. I’ve had to drain water up to the top of the coping before and it had no effect on my water chemistry. This time my TA and CH were affected. So I’m sure it overflowed quite a bit.

The NW and SW got hammered on Tuesday. Tonight, we got hammered but I’m not home. I hope it’s not too bad when I get home tomorrow. IF I can get home tomorrow. What kind of drain do you have Poolbella?

It’s just an overflow drain like on a bathtub. The landscapers didn’t really do anything with it so we basically have a big puddle where it lets out right now but I’m going to remedy that next week. I’ve decided to also add some mini channel drains along one side of the patio where we got water for the first time ever, during this week’s rain.

Sorry to hear about the tornado damage ?

Thanks Poolbella!
The rains we had this past week make me wish we had an overflow line. Our deck drains go all the way to the street and I’m pretty sure they caught all the water when the pool spilled over. I guess as long as the water doesn’t end up in the house, I’ll be ok with it.

League City did make me run a backwash line with a p-trap to my main sewer line that will never get used because I don't have a backwash. But LC didn't care, it's in the requirements so had to do it. ugh

Is that to the clean out? We didn't have to do that here, but it's 6 ft away and I'd prefer that to rolling up a backwash hose.

Our pool is right on our house and we have a channel drain in the deck connected to a small overflow. The way it rains here, that over flow isn't going to work well with the channel drain getting downpour at the same time in my opinion. It did ok last night, but it was a short blast.

Is that to the clean out? We didn't have to do that here, but it's 6 ft away and I'd prefer that to rolling up a backwash hose.

Our pool is right on our house and we have a channel drain in the deck connected to a small overflow. The way it rains here, that over flow isn't going to work well with the channel drain getting downpour at the same time in my opinion. It did ok last night, but it was a short blast.

It should be to the clean out, as is mine. I would’ve preferred an overflow line but our city required the back wash line. I guess it’s better than having to roll up a back wash hose. GusGus was lucky to get the overflow. My deck drains go to the street which I do like.

Pool has been great thanks to TFP.

• Love
Reactions: kimkats and Tena
It should be to the clean out, as is mine. I would’ve preferred an overflow line but our city required the back wash line. I guess it’s better than having to roll up a back wash hose. GusGus was lucky to get the overflow. My deck drains go to the street which I do like.

Pool has been great thanks to TFP.

It sounds and looks great. Our overflow/drains go to a lower spot. From there, it's all downhill to the street.

Yes, TFP has been fantastic for me this last month also.

• Love
Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.