New IG build League City, TX

We filled and started up our pool last week. The PB said to let the pump run at 100% for the first 7-days. After that, he said they recommend keeping the pump running 24/7. 6-hrs on high and 18-hrs on low. I have no trees in my backyard. So, I feel like it may not need to run that much. I currently set an initial program to run 8hrs at 100% from 8am - 4pm and 12hrs at 40% from 4:15pm - 4:15am. Any ideas or suggestions for pump run times?????

With a SWCG you must run the pump long enough each day to generate the chlorine you need. In the winter, that is not much. The next is for skimming. Last is for chemical distribution.

If you pool water is below 60F, then your SWCG may not be generating chlorine. Is it?

In the winter, I run my pool pump 2 hours per day. I get very few leaves so skimming is not an issue. My pump is always running at a low rpm.

SWG won’t be turned on for 20-more days. Right now I’m adding bleach as needed to keep my FC at 1-3ppm. Haven’t had to add much. It’s been staying at around 1ppm.

The lowest default power setting on my pump is 40%. I can change it to be as low as 10%. Should I run it at less than 40%? Or would 30 or 20% work?

You adjust your SWCG based on how much chlorine you need. You test FC daily to make those adjustments.

I checked my Chemistry this afternoon. The pH was up to 8.2. I believe it was 7.6 yesterday. But I suspect some of that had to do with freeze protection mode kicking in at some point last night when the temp was in the low 30’s. The water features and spa ran for hours.

I ended up adding some muriatic acid and some bleach today.

Since I am primarily running my pump for chemical distribution, would running it at 75% for 8hrs and 40% the rest of the time be adequate?

You only need to run the pump at low speed for an hour or so for chemical distribution.

Thanks mknauss!

I’m reading through some old threads on pump run times right now. This one is very informative for anyone else that may stumble upon this thread and want some info: Best speed and run time for a variable speed pump

I don’t have any foliage in my back yard so the need for skimming is minimal. The SWG isn’t on yet so I will experiment with some low speed settings for when I add chemicals.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
31EF813F-CB5C-4163-8081-EEF3903B6142.jpegCEFE82CC-7010-437C-BDDC-802DE21749FD.jpegI know there are a lot of dog people here so I wanted to let everyone know that Crash got in the pool last week. He didn’t swim but hung out on the doggy ledge. Sadly, we had to put him down the other day. He had stopped eating last Friday and was no longer able to use the restroom(the entire backyard). He looks big here at 70lbs but he used to be 135lbs. It was hard. My daughter didn’t want to let him go but I had to explain to her that with him not wanting to eat anymore he would slowly starve to death and that it wouldn’t be fair to him. Hope he’s chasing birds and splashing in waves. ?

Got some updates:
Finally got spray deck.
2C074F77-12DC-43CE-A9AD-4438C4D88D8B.jpeg893E25E7-1655-4BDD-891B-91398F35A631.jpeg49A8B0F4-16E0-4CFE-B319-C9E3A31132BF.jpeg
I like it. Unfortunately, it rained the next day and there are a few light spots that need to get touched up. It’s not bad though just annoying.

The pool chemistry has been great thanks to the help of my pool math app.
Current readings are:
FC 3.5
CC 0
CH 175
TA 80
CYA. 30
Everything is in line with the NPC start up card. I’ve got 3-more days to follow the start up card for new plaster then I will transition to trouble free pool recommended levels. Also, the SWG should get turned on Friday.

Interestingly, I got my water tested at Leslie’s after a week. Since Pebbletec requires third party testing for warranty purposes I plan to do this every two weeks. Their results were pretty far off from my TF-100 results. Can’t remember all of the exact numbers off of the top of my head but they gave me a reading of 40 for my CYA and I hadn’t even added any yet!!!

Speaking of Pebbletec, the Pebblesheen feels great. Just been walking around the tanning ledge but it’s not rough in the least.

Been brushing the plaster 2-times a day. This is made extremely easy thanks to the wall whale brush. I highly recommend one.

Still waiting on my heater to get connected. Called the gas company twice. Emailed once. Emailed Poolbellas contact and I am still in limbo. Gonna try calling Poolbellas contact on Monday. It’s been about a month since I called to get a new gas meter. They said someone would contact me soon but no one has contacted me yet. This is so disappointing b/c I’d love to use the spa right now. It’s not my PB’s fault. It’s my gas companies.

That’s all I’ve got for now. Pool is like 99% done. Just needed a heater.

Reactions: galowbraw

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.