New IG Build in Athens, GA

Still no concrete deck. This project is slow going thanks to all the rain. We have the rock down and added the deck jet plumbing and the forms are up. Probably next week before there is a break in the rain and we pour. It's taking a long time and all the red dirt mess is getting old, but it will all be worth it soon. We probably would not have had to wait this long if we had less deck, but we need the 1300+ sqft for the pavilion. Speaking of the deck, we plan on having saw cut joints on 4'x4' squares. Does anyone have an example of what that will look like? I searched the web and cannot find a good example, but I hear it is fairly common.

BTW Kim, that is not mermaid tile, just metal wall art handing on white tile. ;)

Get real fancy and have then do the cuts in "diamond" shape OR have them do them in "soft wave" lines so you/they don't have to worry about being straight.

And here I thought you have found some really neat time! Even better in that you can change it when you want to!

Kim:kim:

Chalk! Love that idea. I will suggest they chalk out the lines before cutting so we make sure we like it. We will stick with straight lines, though that sounds interesting. :) The theme is all straight lines, even replacing an old concrete sidewalk that winds a bit so we can stay with design theme.

Getting closer to pouring the deck. Engineer gave the thumbs up on number and location of caissons. Basically building one side on stilts. Dry weather this week really helped. We are also covering with plastic when it rains and diverting all water away from the deck area.

Ordered my TF-100 Test Kit the other day. Are there any new links that will bring me to a PDF of those docs on Pool Chemistry?

Jeanne I am not sure of what you are looking for when you say "PDF of those docs on Pool Chemistry". We don't have them in PDF form as far as I know. I have the links saved or printed out depending on what they are. Like the levels-I have them printed out and taped to the top of my test kit.

sorry for the confusion Kim. I printed them just fine. :)

I have a question about the pouring of the concrete deck for the experts out there. I have cast concrete coping and the concrete deck is being poured next week. Does anything go between the coping and the deck as a "spacer" or do they pour to the coping? That is probably a stupid question and one I should ask the PB, but I would appreciate any and all opinions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
sorry for the confusion Kim. I printed them just fine. :)

I have a question about the pouring of the concrete deck for the experts out there. I have cast concrete coping and the concrete deck is being poured next week. Does anything go between the coping and the deck as a "spacer" or do they pour to the coping? That is probably a stupid question and one I should ask the PB, but I would appreciate any and all opinions.

The gunnite pool and coping and the deck are two separate structures that need to be able to move independently. If they touch then one or the other will crack as they put pressure on each other.

Expansion Joint Caulking Around Inground Swimming Pools

The gunnite pool and coping and the deck are two separate structures that need to be able to move independently. If they touch then one or the other will crack as they put pressure on each other.

Expansion Joint Caulking Around Inground Swimming Pools

We have been researching, thanks for the info. We are meeting with the pb again tomorrow to discuss the deck pour. You raised yet another question. The rebar from the pool shell is sticking out at the sides of the pool and they intend to incorporate that into the deck pour. That sounds to me like they are tying the deck and pool together. Is this wrong?

We have been researching, thanks for the info. We are meeting with the pb again tomorrow to discuss the deck pour. You raised yet another question. The rebar from the pool shell is sticking out at the sides of the pool and they intend to incorporate that into the deck pour. That sounds to me like they are tying the deck and pool together. Is this wrong?

There are many different ways to build this stuff. Discuss it with the PB.

The issue is the ground under the deck may settle or shift for any number of reasons. If the support for the deck is lost in an area and it moves what stresses does it out on the pool shell structure. I don’t understand why it would be advantageous to tie the deck and rebar structurally together. You do want to bond the rebar electrically together.

Maybe @bdavis466 has some thoughts on it.

We have concrete decking! Still curing. With all the caissons and turn down at the far corner, it was a lot of concrete. 3 1/2 trucks full!
E2C8994C-7269-48D0-AE56-661B166641F5.jpeg

Last edited:
Next week is equipment and pebble fina. Once they finish. We have the fence and landscaping scheduled for the following week. It starting to come together!
By the way, I posted on Flickr (link in signature) some shots from ground level for perspective on how much the land had to be built up.

Hello TFP folks! Hoping you can chime in again for me. It turns out the PB did not originally have a vs pump so we just amended. We confirmed we are getting the Jandy 1.65 hp flo pro. I looked over the specs and it seems like the right choice. Is this a good pump for my pool?

Hello TFP folks! Hoping you can chime in again for me. It turns out the PB did not originally have a vs pump so we just amended. We confirmed we are getting the Jandy 1.65 hp flo pro. I looked over the specs and it seems like the right choice. Is this a good pump for my pool?
For new pools, I would go with a VS pump. No reason to skimp on that. For Jandy, I would go with the VS FLOPRO™ 2.7 HP. It will allow you to run at lower RPM which will be a bit quieter. Plus, it will give you a bit more flexibility when running all the water features.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.