New IG Build in Athens, GA

Thanks for the my links Kim! Read and saved.
Progress very slow at this point. Lots of rain and mud. They are working on grading as weather allows. Just picked out tile and coping. Cast concrete and glass mosaic by Artistry. Just added pics to flickr, link in signature.

Last edited:
I LOVE the 1x2 tiles! That is such a pretty color combo as well! Now think long and hard about the color of the mastic that will be used under it. That will impact the color of the tile big time. Take a sample of the tile to your house. Pick up some paint cards that mimic the mastic colors and lay the tile on them by the pool. See which one you like the best. THEN think about the grout color. They should have color sticks to use to see which color you like the best for that.

Kim:kim:

Made a last minute tile change after getting the estimated upcharge. That, coupled with horror stories of both glass tile install issues and installing products other than the builder's specialty scared me off. Went with a standard 6x6 marble looking blue (PA41 Lake Blue) from NPT. They are installing now, but had to go back to supplier for white grout. They brought grey which was my choice with the glass subway tile. I liked the white better with the ceramic as a contract. Hope I am not messing up here.

Does anyone else feel like the excitement has been sucked out of you at this point in the process? Like, it's not fun anymore? I was disappointed with the depth issue, but did not like alternatives to correct it and chose to live with it and I am over it now. When it came to the tile choice and I did not like the risk and large price tag with the glass tile and went with a more basic ceramic tile, I was like "whatever, just pick one". Not really, I do like the tile, but I am worried I wont like the tile or coping choice once they are installed. I hope all turns out good and there are no regrets.

That is one of my fav tiles AND with the white grout is a wonderful choose! You will love it once everything comes together.

The process can be a pain after a while. You have so much to do in "real" life THEN add the stress of building a pool :shock: Yeah I feel ya on the "being over it". Once it is over and done it will all fall away and you can relax and enjoy the fruits of your labor!

Help! Tile falling off already. Here is the story...

Tile job was done yesterday, temp today in the mid 40's with below freezing temp last night. This afternoon one of the PB guys brought the coping sample and laid it on top of the tile. One hour later 4 tiles fell off. I have concerns about the install because the tile sticks up over the edge of the concrete by as much as an inch in some places. Does not seem like the tiles have a good chance to adhere. Also, noticed that there is a "circle" of mortar of the back of each tile vs troweled on and set in. I posted a few pics in the flickr (link in signature). Looking for opinions while waiting on a call back from the PB.

Sigh :( Why? Why do they think they can get away with sloppy work like that?? Hugs to you and Gurrrrs to them for even thinking this would be good enough.

Total redo WITH the extra work of removing somehow all of the dried mud. Can you be there when they do the work? Someone has to watch over them it looks like!

The tile sticking up is fine, they build up the height a bit with the mud they use to put the coping on. I am surprised they did tile first and not coping. It's easier to do the coping and then butt the tile up to the coping. As for the way they installed the tile, that is garbage. They should have troweled the mud uniform onto the shell using a notch trowel then placed the tile onto it so that there is 100% coverage of mud on the tile. I don't even see notches in the mud on the ones that fell off. Good luck, but that is a poorly done tile job IMO.

I agree with Kim, total redo or they'll be falling off forever.

Update on tile job. We realized the same day that there is no rhyme or reason to the pattern of the tile. The tiles have a marble type pattern and apparently the tile guys don’t realize you have to turn them in different ways to make them have a pattern. They just pulled them out of the box and started sticking them on. 11 one direction 4 in another, 7 one way then 5 another and so forth. If I weren’t so irritated this would be comical. Talking with PB Monday and demanding total redo. It’s sad, the reason I didn’t go with the glass tile was because I didn’t think the were competent to do the job. Turns out they can lay 6x6 ceramic correctly either. Maybe I should pick a solid color tile. This doesn’t feel like the pool I envisioned.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So the tile is being redone tomorrow. Sigh.
We chose a cast concrete coping in a light color from npt and the PB told us the rep says the light color is prone to getting dark spots and they recommend a darker color. What is that? Why would you even sell a product like that? Has anyone else installed the precast from npt?

So "tomorrow" ended up being more than a month later. We have had so much rain and then you add in the holidays, so many delays. But.... the tile and coping are done! Pics have been added to Flickr - the link is in my signature. It looks great! We went ahead and covered it with plastic since it is so white and the grading will be done next and forming for the deck pour ( I think). Would hate to get all that Georgia red clay on my beautiful coping. Anyway, here's hoping things start moving faster.

What is the typical next step in the process?

Some do the decking first, some the plaster. It depends on which sub they can get there first for some of them.

Smart move on covering the pretty coping. Keep a very close eye on it so you can wash anything off that might get on it. We both know that red clay is a bad thing to try to get off anything! (Sorry you did not get an answer for your post above this one. I did not see it. I agree with you.............why would they even sell it if there were problems with it??)

They almost completed the grading. Hoping to see deck forms later this week. The ground is still so soft from the rain. Very nervous. They will add several piers and rebar at the corners for support. They are adding more dirt first to give a more gradual slope. We want 12 to 14" of grass past the 1260 square foot deck on the 3 outside edges. Adding all this dirt with so much rain is definitely causing delays but they are hopeful to complete in the next 3 weeks. Pics added to Flickr, link in signature.

All involved agree to put the brakes on the deck. The ground is so saturated from all the rain in north Georgia. The build up at the far corner is not showing properly in pictures. That corner is more than 5 feet of dirt then a gradual slope. After meeting with an engineer, he has suggested some additional measure to ensure we get a quality job. More dirt, caissons or piers, 3 to 4 on each side of the corner with rebar, then a special kind of rock on top of all the deck area, compacting, then pour. We are expecting rain and freezing temps below 30 degrees over the next two weeks. It is hard to resist pressing the PB, but I want the best job possible and its not like the weather will be warm enough to swim anytime soon.

I was trying to find other threads of folks that have had to deal with a lot of delays. Anyone have any of those stories to share?

OH my yes!!! Some are from weather, some are due to poor PB planning or over extending his crews so almost no work is done at any one place. We have had some where there ended up being a conflict between the builder and pool owner so that lagged on :(

Oh wait there was one where the PB got sick so work came to a stop. One where the work was so poor the owner would not allow anymore work be done until the old work was fixed.....

So yeah there have been MANY delays for many reasons! Your reason is a good one in that they want to what is right and best in the long run.

I hope this helped you feel better! :hug:

Kim, you always make my day!

On the bright side, the pool house is coming along nicely. I added interior pics to my Flickr story (in signature).

LOVE the tile in the kitchen!! Where did you get that mermaid tile???? LOVE IT! That sliding door is a great idea. They sure save space and add a neat visual touch as well.

I am so glad I was able to help you feel better :hug: my day has a great ending knowing that!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.