New House with (my first) Pool

Benji

Sep 18, 2021
Houston, TX
Good day all, in the process of closing on a new house that has a pool and I have been putting myself through pool school here in preparation to hit the ground running with this. Quick background, I have never owned a pool, nor come from a family that has ever owned a pool so it's all new to me.

Pool dets should be in my sig. It is currently being maintained by a pool guy and there is an autochlorinator attached to the system so I assume he's just dropping tabs in it once a week.

I have bought the taylor k-2006c test kit and done some reading/watched some videos on how to use it.

From my reading here so far I am assuming CYA is going to be higher than may preferred given history of tab usage. Pool was built in 2019 and everything appears to be in great shape.

The plan is to do the testing daily until I get a firm grasp of things and start out of the gate with TFP method.

Given what I have said so far, does anyone have any other recommendations for things to watch out for/check right off the bat. I have the current pool guy's contact info, I suppose I can certainly ask him what products he has been using, or anything else anyone suggests I ask. I guess my concern is anyone could have been using anything in the pool like copper products and I'm just wondering if there is any other testing I should initially have done that my test kit isn't testing for.

Thanks, Ben

Welcome to TFP! :wave: You're a step ahead of others by having a great test kit. :goodjob: Have faith in your testing as that's what's most important. With an inline (tabs), you can expect to either add liquid chlorine or invest in a salt water generator (SWG). So start looking for places locally that have liquid chlorine like Home Depot, Walmart, etc. Regular bleach like Great Value or Bravo from HEB will also work, although they are not as strong. Have muriatic acid available to control the pH. Other than that, practice using the PoolMath APP and let us know if you have any questions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.