New house with a pool

Azbocee

Feb 14, 2020
Mesa, Az
Hi!

Just moved to Arizona and the house has a pool. I have the tf-100 kit and just ran my first numbers after the pool company came over and added 12 gallons of liquid chlorine and acid. I have staining on 2 sides of the pool. They look better but still an issues. Pool was built in 2016. Wondering where I should start first to get things under control and help with this stain. Any advice would be incredible!!

B5CE18E6-A37D-4823-9E9A-4284B97CFAB2.jpegABB86E96-D1D2-47CC-8810-34BB4478B391.jpeg1978AAA3-F659-4201-B5EF-A827DFFD9632.jpeg66AA3050-B86C-44A4-A031-1CB0E202B558.jpegEBEC07FF-3886-4951-AE94-FE0F992864F8.pngABB86E96-D1D2-47CC-8810-34BB4478B391.jpeg

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Great to see you are using a quality test kit. Good job posting the results. The FC is a bit high, but it fall quickly on its own. The staining is interesting. A lot can happen in four years. Your recent test results don't point to a particular problem, but who knows what happened in four years before you right? The staining could be organic, calcium, or a combination. There's always copper staining if the previous owners used cheap algacides a lot, but I don't get that impression from the pics. I would be more inclined to keep the FC at 12 for a couple days and use consistent brushing. Also make sure to increase the CYA to at least 30 (min). Practice the test a bit to get the hang of that one. If it is calcium, or some organic staining showing from underneath, keeping the CSI slightly negative (with lots of brushing) may help thin it over time. Either way is a slow process if I'm on-track with what I see. If you have a chlorine tablet, you could try rubbing it on a stained area for a couple minute to see if it lightens up a a bit (organic). If it gets darker or worse, it could be copper. At least now you're in charge with a good test kit. hat's perfect.

Thank you for the reply! It seems the previous owners just used tablets. It was real mess the first week we were here. It is slowly getting better. I’ll continue to brush and get the cya higher. Hopeful to see improvements over time.

Perfect. As you may expect, I think you'll find your water in the Mesa area is just as hard as your neighbors in Glendale, Scottsdale, Chandler, etc. So CH will be your biggest challenge. 450 is exceptionally good, so I wonder if someone didn't do a recent water exchange. Especially if the previous owners only used pucks, so I suspect their CYA was through the roof requiring the change of water. But you can live with a CH of 450 for sure in AZ. If you have a pool cover to cut-down on evaporation, get ready to use it. Or you may have supplemental softened water which is nice. Monsoon season won't be until what, August I believe, so catching fresh rain water may be tough. But anytime you can avoid putting hard AZ water into the pool it's a good thing. :) Enjoy your new home and pool! :swim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.