New House, New Pool, What kind of filter is this?

Can a pool be partially drained/refilled that quickly, within a couple days? I REALLY don't want to damage the plaster, so am heavily leaning towards waiting it out given the current situation, and my very novice pool ownership status. I can only imagine the scolding from the fiancé if I hurt the plaster vs telling her the chlorine will be really high for a few months LOL.
There is a process called no drain water exchange. See the is guideline by TFP
Best to take advice from people who live in your area to ensure there is no damage

Talked with the misses...we're gonna have to wait to do any draining.

Got the chemistry adjusted (increased FC, lowered pH per this thread following pool math) as follows (including a diluted CYA test...my guess was pretty close). Current chemistry after today:
FC - 13
CC - 0
pH - 7.2
TA - 130
CH - 500
CYA - 120
Temp - 90
CSI - 0.0 (big change from yesterday according to pool math)

I'm fairly "stable" here right until I can get some water swapped out and get that CYA/CH down/?

You need to target about 14 ppm FC and never let it drop below 10. Give it a shot, but that high level of CYA is an issue.

Talked with the misses...we're gonna have to wait to do any draining.

Got the chemistry adjusted (increased FC, lowered pH per this thread following pool math) as follows (including a diluted CYA test...my guess was pretty close). Current chemistry after today:
FC - 13
CC - 0
pH - 7.2
TA - 130
CH - 500
CYA - 120
Temp - 90
CSI - 0.0 (big change from yesterday according to pool math)

I'm fairly "stable" here right until I can get some water swapped out and get that CYA/CH down/?
I’d encourage you to reconsider draining - it’s absolutely necessary to get the hang of the TFP method. Without a SWCG, and plenty of UV, you’re going to be hauling in a lot of liquid chlorine.
Regarding the pool cleaner - don’t be a dope, save many hundreds of dollars by buying from Marina.
Finally - the single speed pump should go on your list for replacement. I’d swap that out and add a SWCG as a priority project considering the long season you guys have and the ease of use it provides.

I’d encourage you to reconsider draining - it’s absolutely necessary to get the hang of the TFP method. Without a SWCG, and plenty of UV, you’re going to be hauling in a lot of liquid chlorine.
Yeah - understood - the CYA is a real problem. I'm going to need to figure out how to do a water replacement instead of a proper drain and fill with how hot it is here. Not worth damaging the plaster for some extra gallons of chlorine right now. We are in the process of moving into this house so I'm not quite settled to monitor a water swap, but hopefully will be in a couple weeks or so. Going to have to jack the chlorine up anyway and hope for the best as we leave town for a week here in a couple days. Fingers crossed for no green when we get home, may throw some pucks in since the CYA is ridiculous anyway. Would rather have clean water to do the swap than algae ridden water. Still trying to weigh my vacation options thru copious post reading here.
Regarding the pool cleaner - don’t be a dope, save many hundreds of dollars by buying from Marina.
Yep - one's on the way, ordered last week. Should hopefully be here tomorrow. I'm pretty excited to watch the thing work. There are some leaves at the bottom of my pool that have been driving me nuts the past couple days.
Finally - the single speed pump should go on your list for replacement. I’d swap that out and add a SWCG as a priority project considering the long season you guys have and the ease of use it provides.
Yes - the pump, and well everything on the pad seems pretty basic. House was built in the 70s, no idea how old the pool or equipment is. We just bought this house so need to reline the coffers lol, but I agree a pump overhaul is in order as I hear a variable speed is much nicer on the electricity consumption. As far as the SWG, I'll start looking into what it would take to convert. I hadn't really considered it since I'm just starting out, but I completely get what you're saying and will spend some time looking at them.

I know you just moved in, but starting later today thru Sunday would be almost ideal to do a drain/refill as it's supposed to be mostly cloudy the entire time. About the only other option to reduce your CYA is the water exchange method.

If that won't work with your schedule, you will have to keep the FC in line with your CYA to help prevent an algae outbreak.

If you drain, be sure to check with the city to see what their requirements are to drain a pool. Here in Chandler, we are required to drain to the sanitary sewer and not to the street. I use the cleanout in my front yard. Some cities allow draining to the street and some require a permit if draining to the street.

Last edited:
I know you just moved in, but starting later today thru Sunday would be almost ideal to do a drain/refill as it's supposed to be mostly cloudy the entire time. About the only other option to reduce your CYA is the water exchange method.

If that won't work with your schedule, you will have to keep the FC in line with your CYA to help prevent an algae outbreak.

If you drain, be sure to check with the city to see what their requirements are to drain a pool. Here in Chandler, we are required to drain to the sanitary sewer and not to the street. I use the cleanout in my front yard. Some cities allow draining to the street and some require a permit if draining to the street.
Therein lies the problem. I'm out of town for a week starting tomorrow AM. I jacked the FC up tonight to around 32 and we'll see what happens. I've only been losing 0-3 ppm/day this last week. If it's green when we get back, just another reason to drain/refil - though I'd still likely need to do the water exchange method, unless we get another "cool" weekend in the next couple weeks and I can chuck a sump pump in there and just drain the thing.

I live in Phoenix proper and cannot drain into the street. They recommend a hose into the sewer clean-out.

I will start researching water swapping methods while I'm out of town when I can, but I definitely need to avoid wrecking the plaster even if it means dumping a large amount of chlorine in the pool for the next 3 months til it starts to cool off.

Reactions: proavia
Therein lies the problem. I'm out of town for a week starting tomorrow AM. I jacked the FC up tonight to around 32 and we'll see what happens. I've only been losing 0-3 ppm/day this last week. If it's green when we get back, just another reason to drain/refil - though I'd still likely need to do the water exchange method, unless we get another "cool" weekend in the next couple weeks and I can chuck a sump pump in there and just drain the thing.

I live in Phoenix proper and cannot drain into the street. They recommend a hose into the sewer clean-out.

I will start researching water swapping methods while I'm out of town when I can, but I definitely need to avoid wrecking the plaster even if it means dumping a large amount of chlorine in the pool for the next 3 months til it starts to cool off.
Ok - just know that FC over SLAM levels can damage equipment etc, not recommended. If the pool goes green, you’ll be in big trouble due to the high CYA. I’d bite the bullet, rent a pump, be done pumping in a few hours. Start filling immediately and you can leave town knowing things are better off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.