New House, New Pool Owner Nerves

Mfrank

Aug 16, 2018
York, PA
Hi all, this is my very first
1) Post on this forum
2) Home as a homeowner
3) In ground pool
So I sincerely apologize if I’m not in the right place or if I am not posting correctly! Any tips are helpful because I plan on using this forum A LOT - it has proven to be wonderfully helpful thus far!

So, as title states, we just bought our first house and our dream of becoming pool owners has come true as well. Growing up in the 90's my family had an above ground pool that I basically lived in, and while I remember helping to maintain it, the nitty gritty details have faded. I found this site in hopes of finding an affordable way to maintain my new(to me) pool, and my first few hours reading here actually REALLY pumped me up about this new investment! I couldn’t wait to move in, start testing, and maintain this beautiful blue beauty. :whoot:

Alas, we are 8 days from closing and I find myself silently freaking out a little bit. In a good way of course. I'm up for the challenge, I’m a quick learner... but holy schnikies, what did I just get myself into?! I need a full reset and reconditioning on pool maintenance, testing, what those results mean, and quite possibly a gentle reminder that taking care of a pool is an enjoyable and rewarding experience! We have been informed that the current owners are leaving anything pool related to us - chemicals, equipment, et cetera, but we wont know what those are until after closing on 8/24. Embarrassingly enough, I don't even know the dimensions of the pool or how many gallons it is :(

So I guess my big question here is where do I start? How do I take over caring for a pool not knowing the previous owners routine? What’s my first important step to making sure I don't have a swamp by the end of this pool season? Any help or info is greatly appreciated!! I realize my questions may seem dumb or premature, so I do apologize for that. My pool maintenance anxiety has taken over. I have included two pictures just in case that helps better state my case.

Thank you so much everyone and I look forward to getting the best pool maintenance advice on your forum!

pool2.jpgpool1.jpg

Last edited:
My opinion is don't worry about the previous owner's maintenance routine.....it doesn't matter really. Be thankful that it looks like they left it in nice shape for you.

When able order a recommended test kit, get the dimensions of the pool and a list of the equipment together then when you take over post full test results here.

Read and reread the "Pool School" portion of this site and you'll be fine. I was in the exact same situation as you and had the same concerns in the Fall of '13.....if I can do it then anyone can.

That’s a very nice looking pool. If you haven’t already done so read through pool school.

Since your in PA I would assume you’ll need to winterize the pool so read up on that as well. For the first winter you may want to hire a company to help you close the pool. Watch, learn and take notes and next year you may feel comfortable doing it yourself.

Next get the proper test kit. Either a Taylor K-2600c from amazon or TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net/cart.html. If you can prior to moving in grab s sample of water from the house spigot and test it. This is more than likely the water you’ll use when adding/filling the pool so you want to know what the test numbers are.

Before you move-in download the poolmath app so you can plug your test numbers into it so you know the proper chemicals to add. If possible see if you can go measure the pool dimensions So you can calculate the size ( or ask the current owner if they know). Also find out if they use chlorine tablets ( in an in-line chlorinator or floater) or if it’s a salt water chlorine generator (SWGC)

Be careful of the chemicals they leave behind and don’t get your water tested at a pool store (trust your test kit). Depending on how they maintained the pool the chemicals left might be useless if using the TFP method.

Once you move in immediately test for Free Chlorine, CYA and Ph and be ready to add liquid chlorine (or regular bleach, no scents, not splashless and no colormax) so you don’t fall below the recommended amount (see cl/cya chart)

Good Luck and happy :swim:

Welcome to TFP.

Once you move in you can evaluate the pool condition, equipment and water chemistry.

Get your own test kit. Either the TF-100 Test Kit or the Taylor K-2006C. As soon as you get in do a complete test of your water and post the results.

Also post pics of your equipment and we can help you understand it.

Also inventory the chemicals you inherit and list them here.

In the meantime read:
Pool School - Pool School
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Trouble Free Pool School
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Visual Encyclopedia of Pool Equipment
Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Relax. The pool will be fine.

Nice looking pool! I like the fact that it has a large shallow end and the deep end does not look too deep. Excited for you. Please post some updates as soon as you get moved in. Good luck and congrats!

1) Relax

2) Order a recommended test kit

3) Read Pool School

4) Swim

5) Save time and money. I spend maybe 10 minutes a week and $200-300 per year maintaining my pool.

Thank you all so much! I will check back & update after I know the exact specs on the pool. In the meantime I'll be ordering a test kit and reading up on Pool School. I'm back to feeling confident about my new-to-me pool!

Congrats, I remember the feeling and nervousness as I wasn’t about to let anyone but me touch my pool maintenance. I love spending time on the pool as it gets me an excellent excuse to avoid the family when I need it ;)

Get a good test kit and spend time seeing how your pool reacts in the different seasons. Many different environments affect pools in different ways with sun exposure or just what blows into it. I learned so much on TFP finding out all the parts and systems that weren’t properly maintained and got them back up to snuff. There’s an intimacy to the pool maintenance, almost like a living thing. If you do it yourself, it’s really not expensive and there are so many things now that make pool maintenance easy and trouble free (no pun). I just fixed some pipe and it cost me a morning and less than $30, and woulda cost 20x that otherwise.

Good luck!

Hi Mfrank,
Welcome to TFP and congratulations on a milestone in your life. Owning your own home, and especially your first one is something to be thankful for and very proud of.

So about the pool stuff. I'm going to keep this simple for you OK? Because as a new pool owner, that's what you need. Right?

So, here it is how you start and it will keep your pool in good shape, easy as pie.
Forget out previous owners regimen, it doesn't matter.

1. Get yourself a TF100 test kit from TFTestkits.net Get the XL option. Easy.

2. Learn how to use PoolMath you will not be able to maintain the pool without it. Might take you 30 minutes to get the hang of it.

3. Maintain your chemical levels per TFP recommendations. Pool School - Recommended Levels. Easy. Pool Math will tell you what, and how much of something to add in order to reach your recommended chemistry target.

4. Keep the pool clean by brushing periodically and keeping it vacuumed by whatever means you want to.

There, now was that so hard?

You dont have to understand the chemistry, that will come in time.

Relax. It seems daunting, but with the simple TFP tools which I've listed, it will be a breeze and in no time, you'll be an expert and wonder why you ever worried about it in the first place.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Congratulations on your new home and pool. I'm pretty much a rookie here as far as the pool maintenance goes, but I'd recommend asking the seller to stop by soon after closing to give you a crash course on the pool's equipment and maintenance. The water looks nice and clear, so maybe it's already TFP!

I need to get mine re-plastered so it looks nice and shiny like that. That pool looks immaculate so they probably have it in really good condition chemical wise. Might even get lucky (or unlucky depending on how you look at it) and it has a saltwater system.

Welcome, Mfrank! I see we're kind of neighbors :D I wish I had been so lucky as to find this site before we even took possession of our house with pool last year... but better late than never! haha You are getting off on the right foot if you follow the great advice on this forum.

Congrats on your new home and many firsts - enjoy!

Closing on 8/24 at 9am, final walk-through Thursday evening. Anything special I should keep my eye out for when inspecting the pool one last time?
Also, current owner said pool is 20,000 gal and will be measuring for dimensions. Still unsure of depth in deep end but if I had to guess I would say 6ft. Hoping to get complete details before closing.

See if current owner has the pool equipment manuals. Might even ask if they'd walk you through the equipment pad since they are obviously people who care about their pool! All they can say is "no". Good luck!

I love spending time on the pool as it gets me an excellent excuse to avoid the family when I need it ;)

This is not to be understated. Don’t let your spouse know how easy pool maintenance is! “Honey, Ima need to spend some time working out at the pool today!”

It is part of my ME time as well. I also have lots of landscaping around it which needs tending to all the time. [emoji6]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.