New house - how to maintain pool

May 5, 2018
Jerich NY
All,

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me here. Just bought a house in Westchester that has a gunite pool treated with bromine. Attached are pics of the set up. I can probably figure out the valves in the pvc pipes, but any idea how bromine is broadcast into the pool. Also, any idea what the small tablets are in the skimmer?

Previous owner stated she used a pool service but I plan on maintaining myself. Have a vinyl pool now and maintain myself with a Taylor pool test kit, but am new to bromine. 997959979699797

You will save yourself a whole lot of headaches if you drain/exchange the water right now to fresh and use liquid chlorine.

I have no experience with a bromine pool. But I do know they do not work well in outdoor, uncovered environments.

My understanding is that gunnite pools are not to be drained as the walls could collapse.
No, the main risk in draining a gunite pool is plaster failure followed by the shell lifting out of the ground if you have a high water table.

You can exchange the water however, that does not involve draining.

In the middle photo, there is a piece of equipment to the right of the heater and filter with what looks like a black cable that comes out of one side and another coming out of the other side. Any idea what that is?

Post a pic of the label on the canister.

Looks like salt pellets for winterizing the skimmer that aren't melted. Gunite pools can be drained as long as water table isn't high. Vinyl pools are dangerous to drain. You can exchange the water pretty easy if you have city water. I would ditch the bromine and use TFP methods and not look back

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.