New hot tub, bromine or chlorine? It has an ozonator

May 16, 2015
Kamiah Idaho
So we ordered a hot tub yesterday, should get it in a couple weeks. It comes with the ozonator, and they want to give me spa marvel to get started, but I am not sure I trust that to keep my spa germ free.

So should I ask for the bromine or chlorine starter kit? (Either one will come "free"with the tub)

I have used the chlorine method recommended here, on the pool we had in Alabama with great success and had planned to use the same with the hot tub, in Idaho. But Does having the ozonator change things? they claim I won't need as much chlorine or bromine with it?

Does one work better with it than the other? Which method is easier? Is either method hard on the hot tub materials themselves?

You don't want to use an ozonator with chlorine. When there's no bather waste around to oxidize, the ozone and chlorine will annihilate one another.

You can either start it as a bromine tub and just wait a year or two for the ozonator to die (they don't last long) or you can disconnect it and run as a chlorine tub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't want to use an ozonator with chlorine. When there's no bather waste around to oxidize, the ozone and chlorine will annihilate one another.

You can either start it as a bromine tub and just wait a year or two for the ozonator to die (they don't last long) or you can disconnect it and run as a chlorine tub.

How do you know when the ozonator quits working?

How do you know when the ozonator quits working?

You don't, that's one of the problems with them - there's no obvious sign of failure. There is a test kit for ozone gas but it would require getting into the guts of the unit to remove the gas injection tube and test the output of the corona discharge cell, but its only a "presence of ozone" test, not a quantitative measurement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.