New home with a pool

Yes, during a SLAM the pump stays on the entire time (24/7) until you pass the 3 SLAM criteria (SLAM link below). Your FC right now should be "16" to be at the proper SLAM level based on the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below). That's your guide. When you prepare for the OCLT, make sure to follow the notes on the TFP Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) page carefully. Test after sundown and before sun-up. Good luck!

Very good. So you passed the OCLT, water clear and less than .5 CCs? Then the SLAM would be over at which point you could begin to increase the CYA for your SWG pool. As you begin to increase stabilizer, there will be an adjustment period as you adjust pump run time and SWG %. Do not let the FC drop any further. An FC of 3 is very low. Continue to augment with bleach as needed until the SWG is producing the FC required to stay in the recommended daily range. Have a nice weekend.

I added 11 40lb bags of salt on Saturday. Checked yesterday morning and Salt was at 3000 so I added 2 more bagsbut didn't check fc and today it is at 3600. I also turned swg on Saturday night and set to 50% with pump running to circulate. Fc is at 12 and ph is at 8.2. Today is also raining and cloudy all day. I turned off the swg and turned the pump back to timer from 8am -3pm
Also when I do the pool gallon calculations I come up with roughly 22k gallons so pool math said to add 663 pounds of salt. I started with 440 and then 80 more so I've added 520lbs and I'm at 3600ppm. To come up with that amount in pool math it is a 17,250 gallon pool. Is that correct? The deep end is not the whole width of the pool, it's a pit with 4 sloped sides.

You may find yourself adjusting your pool volume based on what you learn after dosing the pool with chemicals. If you overshoot or under-shoot your target goal when adjusting pH or TA for example, you know the pool volume is slightly off. It's quite common to do. As for your last pH test, that's quite elevated, so make sure to lower it with muriatic acid to get it back down to the mid-7s or so. You never want it over 7.8. :)

Thanks to TFP I am getting the hang of it.
I've been running the pump 8 hours a day swg was at 20% and fc today is at 9 so I turned it down a bit. It hasn't been sunny so I'm assuming that's something you adjust as the weather changes?
FC. 9
PH. 7.5
CYA. 70
TA. 80
CH. 75
salt 3200

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.