Annapolis,MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Universal40
Hello my name is Damon, I recently purchased a home in Maryland with a pool. I am new to the pool thing. The previous owner closed the pool last year and didn’t open it this year. I had it inspected. The inspector said I may need a pump, chalking the trap or something and I might need a plaster job in 2021.
It has a robotic cleaner, it has all the lock for the lift and lock pool cover. A tree limb punctured it so they took it off.
Here are my pictures D274CC67-4151-4C2F-A423-949BA7E44BF8.jpeg
AE507F82-2E54-4F9B-84DA-35C6F615F737.jpeg
8F00F255-8D79-4E72-BF68-564A496CF165.jpeg

Good day, Damon! Welcome to TFP....glad to have ya here :wave:

Are you looking to start the clean up now or next spring? Can you get us a pic of the entire equipment pad? Have you seen the pool with the cover off yet?

Maddie :flower:

Yes, lots to consider. If it were me, I'd get that cover off the pool. I'd buy a new LoopLoc, Merlin or similar mesh safety cover. I'd also have a pool company close the pool. By closing it I mean pump out/plug the lines to make sure there is no water in them, and add antifreeze. No need to add chemicals to the pool. It's already green. Then around April 1st, take the cover off, and replace any needed equipment and SLAM Process the water. Within a month you should have new equipment and crystal clear water, which is before swim season starts, unless you have a heater. Without a heater, my swim season is Mid/late May to end of September, though I have a cover I keep on the water in the shoulder seasons to reduce evaporation (and therefore keep heat in). Your pool was closed last year, but I would never expect plugs to keep water out of the lines for more than just one winter. The potential issue, broken underground pipes, is too serious.

That said, you still have time to replace equipment now and SLAM the water clear before closing clean, IF you hop to it immediately. Just depends on your priorities. I'd focus elsewhere til spring. One of those fall projects I'd tackle is trimming back/removing some of those trees near the pool. Trees and pools don't make good neighbors.

One thing to note is that MD has a variable speed pump rebate of $400. There is no reason to buy a two-speed pump with that type of money available to offset the extra cost. Never consider a single speed pump - dark ages. You do need to pay MD sales tax to get the rebate. So you can get it through a pool guy or buy it on Amazon, etc., as both should charge MD sales tax. I however, in order to make my life more difficult, purchased it from the cheapest vendor I could find online in another state, who, as I would expect, did not charge MD sales tax. So I needed to "convince" the MD rebate folks that although I didn't pay sales tax at the time of purchase, the fact that I filed a Use Tax return for MD, remitting my own tax payment, fulfilled my MD sales tax obligation, I have fulfilled that requirement. It took some work, but I heard back last week that my rebate was approved, so I can vouch that they will accept that approach if it applies to your purchase. My net outlay, including sales tax for a smaller sized VSP (1.85HP) was about $460. The "full size" VSP's are 3 HP, which, if your pool has no water features or spa, doesn't really need, though no harm except price to get the larger one.

Like Maddie said, let us know what your priorities are for this fall and next spring.

Good day, Damon! Welcome to TFP....glad to have ya here :wave:

Are you looking to start the clean up now or next spring? Can you get us a pic of the entire equipment pad? Have you seen the pool with the cover off yet?

Maddie :flower:

Should I clean it now? It is still winterized from last year. I will post a pic of the equipment pad and I have not seen the pool with the cover off yet.

I am going to pump the water off of the tarp today and replace the weight.

Yes, lots to consider. If it were me, I'd get that cover off the pool. I'd buy a new LoopLoc, Merlin or similar mesh safety cover. I'd also have a pool company close the pool. By closing it I mean pump out/plug the lines to make sure there is no water in them, and add antifreeze. No need to add chemicals to the pool. It's already green. Then around April 1st, take the cover off, and replace any needed equipment and SLAM Process the water. Within a month you should have new equipment and crystal clear water, which is before swim season starts, unless you have a heater. Without a heater, my swim season is Mid/late May to end of September, though I have a cover I keep on the water in the shoulder seasons to reduce evaporation (and therefore keep heat in). Your pool was closed last year, but I would never expect plugs to keep water out of the lines for more than just one winter. The potential issue, broken underground pipes, is too serious.

That said, you still have time to replace equipment now and SLAM the water clear before closing clean, IF you hop to it immediately. Just depends on your priorities. I'd focus elsewhere til spring. One of those fall projects I'd tackle is trimming back/removing some of those trees near the pool. Trees and pools don't make good neighbors.

One thing to note is that MD has a variable speed pump rebate of $400. There is no reason to buy a two-speed pump with that type of money available to offset the extra cost. Never consider a single speed pump - dark ages. You do need to pay MD sales tax to get the rebate. So you can get it through a pool guy or buy it on Amazon, etc., as both should charge MD sales tax. I however, in order to make my life more difficult, purchased it from the cheapest vendor I could find online in another state, who, as I would expect, did not charge MD sales tax. So I needed to "convince" the MD rebate folks that although I didn't pay sales tax at the time of purchase, the fact that I filed a Use Tax return for MD, remitting my own tax payment, fulfilled my MD sales tax obligation, I have fulfilled that requirement. It took some work, but I heard back last week that my rebate was approved, so I can vouch that they will accept that approach if it applies to your purchase. My net outlay, including sales tax for a smaller sized VSP (1.85HP) was about $460. The "full size" VSP's are 3 HP, which, if your pool has no water features or spa, doesn't really need, though no harm except price to get the larger one.

Like Maddie said, let us know what your priorities are for this fall and next spring.

Where did you get your pump from and do you know the MD site for the rebate?
My goals are the clean the pool and learn as much a possible for a great swim season.

Should i put anything in the water since that part was partially off?

All the sudden my friends are very excited to visit next year.

Damon

I would go with the recommendation to re-winterize since you really haven't a clue if those plugs still hold. Better be sure then sorry because broken pipes will delay your pool season, cost you many nickels and lots of aggravation. Spend the money now, do nothing except winterizing. Leave the water alone as you haven't a clue how to handle it now and dipping temps in a few weeks will not be your friend. You have plenty of time to open early next season and learn the pool chemistry. Over the next few months just hang out here and learn. Do all the reading you can so you'll be ready for the task come spring.

Reactions: damon5683
Where did you get your pump from and do you know the MD site for the rebate?
My goals are the clean the pool and learn as much a possible for a great swim season.

Should i put anything in the water since that part was partially off?

All the sudden my friends are very excited to visit next year.

Damon

Mine came with the cover when I bought it from a pool guy. But this is it... Amazon.com : Little Giant APCP-1700 Automatic Swimming Pool Cover Submersible Pump, 1/3-HP, 115V : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Garden & Outdoor

Potomac Edison | FirstEnergy | Pool Pump Rebates
or
Pool Pump Rebate

The water is already green. Adding a few chemicals makes no difference. You either open and SLAM now or re-winterize and SLAM in the spring.

Dude... are you me? MD, 1.85 HP VSP, $400 Rebate, Use tax forms.... I found my Maxflo VS for $600, so for $200+tax and a self install, it was so well worth it. Found mine on 3rd party Amazon.

• Haha
Reactions: bmoreswim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mine came with the cover when I bought it from a pool guy. But this is it... Amazon.com : Little Giant APCP-1700 Automatic Swimming Pool Cover Submersible Pump, 1/3-HP, 115V : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Garden & Outdoor

Potomac Edison | FirstEnergy | Pool Pump Rebates
or
Pool Pump Rebate

The water is already green. Adding a few chemicals makes no difference. You either open and SLAM now or re-winterize and SLAM in the spring.

Thanks, You are right, I need to get the better pump with MD giving me a rebate for it. I know it needs a pump, it was making noises during the inspection.

Thanks, You are right, I need to get the better pump with MD giving me a rebate for it. I know it needs a pump, it was making noises during the inspection.
How in heavens name did he test the pump and not expect it to NOT make noise when it was in winter mode without WATER and then telling you it needs a pump. Not that I wouldn't take advantage of a good rebate but the inspector should know better. Just my opinion here.

How in heavens name did he test the pump and not expect it to NOT make noise when it was in winter mode without WATER and then telling you it needs a pump. Not that I wouldn't take advantage of a good rebate but the inspector should know better. Just my opinion here.

Great point!

Here are some more pics of my equipment
F160999B-53B4-4D04-9877-15B7AC287B25.jpegF160999B-53B4-4D04-9877-15B7AC287B25.jpeg

Attachments

• E722E3E3-B054-4541-AABE-AEABD72578AB.jpeg
    E722E3E3-B054-4541-AABE-AEABD72578AB.jpeg
    377.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 6E9A61ED-024C-4B05-8824-AF5F7517F14A.jpeg
    6E9A61ED-024C-4B05-8824-AF5F7517F14A.jpeg
    570.6 KB · Views: 12
  • B830A6DC-438E-492B-943F-6B91C3954596.jpeg
    B830A6DC-438E-492B-943F-6B91C3954596.jpeg
    430.5 KB · Views: 10
  • FDF05944-198E-441C-82EF-873634399EED.jpeg
    FDF05944-198E-441C-82EF-873634399EED.jpeg
    341.7 KB · Views: 10
  • A156AFD3-6E99-4DE3-816A-213607200B63.jpeg
    A156AFD3-6E99-4DE3-816A-213607200B63.jpeg
    394.6 KB · Views: 12
  • ADF18BCC-488F-4C68-90D4-1E7DF5FC8A4E.jpeg
    ADF18BCC-488F-4C68-90D4-1E7DF5FC8A4E.jpeg
    429 KB · Views: 15
  • DD272556-FC84-4767-8DBE-4933E477D096.jpeg
    DD272556-FC84-4767-8DBE-4933E477D096.jpeg
    400.8 KB · Views: 16
  • F0EDD682-2E10-4530-BAE6-B52FDA37883A.jpeg
    F0EDD682-2E10-4530-BAE6-B52FDA37883A.jpeg
    326.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 129D4F21-D269-4686-8DB3-9AF2266055FA.jpeg
    129D4F21-D269-4686-8DB3-9AF2266055FA.jpeg
    306.9 KB · Views: 15
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.