New Home - New Pool

Sounds like the pool is trying to react to the chlorine, but it's still not adequate enough. For CYA, the black dot must disappear by 30, if not, it's too low. You want the CYA to be 30 for sure. At the same time, your FC must remain at 12. Anything as low as what you show now will never clear the algae. Adjust the CYA (30) and FC (12) and you will begin to see very good progress. Remind everyone involved that it's regular bleach that is the primary tool of sanitation. It's pure, fast-acting, and leaves almost no residual side effects. Test FC frequently for best results.

Get off work at 10pm. Buying bleach from the store. Going to do a CYA test to determine my shock level then start adding bleach. Water is all blue but just cloudy.

- - - Updated - - -

No way my cya level isn't up yet. I added 6 lbs of stabilizer. Should be a 30-40.

Okay. 128 ounce jugs of 8.25% sodium hypochlorite. Added 2 3/4. Called for 310ish ounces. That is 340ish ounces.

CYA was still sub 30 when I tested earlier today but it looked a lot cloudier abd closer to 30. I eatimate it was 20 and I added the other 1.5lbs of stabilizer to it for 7lbs total. It has to be 30 with that much.

Sounds like there is some bacteria in the pool consuming CYA and converting it to ammonia. It has been more problematic this spring than usual. Must be something just right about temps and low FC or something.

The answer is to add 10ppm FC to the pool, brush and test again in 10 minutes. If it is 5 or less then do it again until FC holds close to 10 ppm. Then add CYA and begin SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Cya 25
fc ppm .5

- - - Updated - - -

I am not sure I am doing this FC sample correct. I mean, I am following the directions to a T, but I left the sample from last night which was 1ppm in the tube over night and when I went outside this morning the sample was no longer clear but an extremely dark pink. Basically hot pink.

Once you've completed the initial FC test going from pink to clear, you immediately do the CC test then toss it out. When you leave it just sitting it starts to change back. For the FC test specifically, just remember .... 10 ML sample size plus one healthy amount of powder. Start counting drops until it turns clear then divide that number by 2. So if you had 14 drops for example, your FC is 7. If you had 15 drops, your FC is 7.5. At that current CYA, your FC should never be below 2.

More powder is ok, it doesn't affect the test.

If you still have a sock of CYA in the pool I would pull it out.

You are going to have to hit it hard and fast with bleach. Do what pooldv suggested in post 30.

Okay. I did a test today and 40 CYA and 0 FC. So, I think I realized one mistake by looking at the Pool Math. I didn't realize it took a week for the CYA to completely take effect. So the CYA went a little higher than expected. PH is a 7.1 TA is 70.

I am going to wait til sundown and add 4 more jugs of Bleach. (I bought 12 today). With the CYA so high, it should be good to go now (16 shock value now).

- - - Updated - - -

One question, is there a TOO HIGH shock value? Where you are messing something up with too much bleach.

Also, does anyone have an idea why I have 2 return lines on my pool?

I have an upper one connected to a light and a bottom one. The upper one alone would blow the gasket every time because of too much pressure. I run at 20 PSI on the bottom. I was going to hook the light up and just run 2 two return lines, but as of now, I just have 1 connected to the bottom one.

1 drop is making it turn. 2 last night. That said, my test says use 2 scoops. So I have been putting 2 level scoops in. Maybe that is why it is off? Maybe I should only be using 1 scoop.
The Taylor Industries test kit instructions are based on the 25ml sample. So when you use the 10 ml sample, you use less powder and less drops. :) Just one hefty scoop is fine. Now you just said:
Okay. I did a test today and 40 CYA and 0 FC.
I am going to wait til sundown and add 4 more jugs of Bleach.
You don't' want to wait to add FC (bleach). If you do, algae will have an open door to your pool. Your FC target zone is in the 4-6 range, and NEVER below 3 ppm. So make sure to add bleach right away to prevent algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.