New home construction ... considerations for adding pool

Jun 16, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
My wife and I will be building a new home this winter and I wanted to check in here for recommendations to make it easier when we have our pool built. We live in Las Vegas and the last two homes we've lived in have had pools already built, so I will definitely be putting in a pool and spa.

First thoughts: I want to make sure that there's a gas line installed near where our pool heater will end up. I am also thinking that (due to the extreme water hardness), we will want the pool to be refilled with soft water so we'll want a line for soft water that will be tapped for the pool. ... I know that the pool will initially need calcium hardness so my plan is to partially fill the pool with unsoftened water and mix in some softened water to keep the pool's CH level at reasonable levels. Once the pool's filled, any replacement water can be soft water so that the CH doesn't go up too much.

That's all of the thoughts I've come up with so far - gas line + soft water for the pool.

And of course, no stinkin' landscaping that will shed a bunch of debris, which invariably ends up in the pool.

Any other considerations/ideas would be much appreciated. No rush; I don't expect to start pool construction until fall 2018. Home construction starts late 2017.

Thanks in advance.

if u aren't finishing the landscaping for the area then i wouldn't worry about anything really except prep the foundation of the home for utilities out to pool area. i.e.: conduit for water lines, conduit for electrical lines, conduit for low volt (cat/audio ect) use 2 inch if you like overkill use 1 inch and u will be fine for 1 wire or line per conduit. the gas line will come off via ariser from the outside of the home gas meter vs coming from the inside of the house due to the fact that the reader for gas line is already outside vs water which is inside.

i see no point bringing linesto areas if they might change cause then u r just digging them up again. you will have machine coming in and out so if you do finish yard a lot will be ruined again anyway so u can trench the stuff then.

that's just me but i'm doing my pool now and the only thing i could have planned for that can't be done now would be the conduits. i'm going have to drill through my 12" inch poured foundation and it will just cause a mess. i wish my conduits were better located. the ones i put in both front and back of house are not in good locations.

jim

Plan the wiring ahead of time. Meaning: oversize electrical panel to accommodate the pool equipment, or install the subpanel and wire it during construction. Then it's a simple matter to knock out plugs and add breakers. Also think about the equipment pad. There are codes relating to how far from a window you have to put the heater. Maybe you'll want to put the bedroom window in the other wall, so the heater can go where it fits best.

My 2 cents. Master plan the whole thing- house and pool. If you already have your house plan and lot, then take that to a pool builder and start getting bids. That way it can be planned together.

Thanks to everyone; this is much more complicated than I thought. I'm glad I stopped by here - this is the best website for all things pool related.

Since I've already got the pool construction company picked out (BYOP of Nevada), I'll have to retain their services to plan everything before we finalize details on the house.

I now have a list of items to consider from the above posts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.