New Here! Neglected Pool

monicagrace27

Jun 8, 2021
Saint Francis, MN
Hi everyone! I just joined and am here because we bought a house last year that had a neglected pool. We bought it late in the season and didn’t do much with it last year since it already had very green water and a lot of debris at the bottom. Now we have been trying to get it back to being a nice pool and have been running the filter 24/7, backwashing, brushing, skimming, and vacuuming daily. We just got the ph adjusted and are now starting the SLAM process. Any tips or advice are much appreciated!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Hi, welcome to TFP! Early in your slam if you can check hourly and add chlorine whenever the FC drops 5ppm or more the slam will progress more quickly. Take a photo at the same spot of the pool daily around the same time to be able to see the day to day progression.

Reactions: monicagrace27
Welcome! I was in your position 5 years ago. This stuff is really easy to learn. Did you get a Taylor K-2006c or a TF100 test kit yet? That's where you need to start.

Edit to add: Also get the Pool Math app or familiarize yourself with the pool math page that is linked at the bottom of every forum page.

Reactions: monicagrace27
Welcome! I was in your position 5 years ago. This stuff is really easy to learn. Did you get a Taylor K-2006c or a TF100 test kit yet? That's where you need to start.

Edit to add: Also get the Pool Math app or familiarize yourself with the pool math page that is linked at the bottom of every forum page.
Really? It’s good to hear from someone who has been here! I don’t have those, no, all I’ve been using are the AquaChek strips… these won’t work for shocking it?
And yes, I do have that app and have been using the pool math web page which has been really helpful. Thank you!

Welcome! Along with a good test kit, find a good source of liquid chlorine (stock up!), and since you have a sand filter, pack your POP - pool owner patience! You're going to need it but you can do this :kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome! Along with a good test kit, find a good source of liquid chlorine (stock up!), and since you have a sand filter, pack your POP - pool owner patience! You're going to need it but you can do this :kim:
Thank you!! We have gotten a good bit of chlorine, but I’m surprised at how much it has taken! I did order a test kit, but we had already started shocking so I’ve just been keeping it at or above 10 ppm of FC based on the test strips until the kit comes. We have a 28,000 gallon pool and to get the FC up and keep it above 10 ppm for the past 24 hours, it’s taken 17 gallons of 12.5% chlorine bleach (added at 2+ hour intervals of 2-3 gallons at a time based on poolmath). Does that seem like too much? Or could that be right? The pool color has changed from dark green to a grayish color, so it seems like it’s working.

Your test strips are not actually giving you any information. I would just use pool math to determine what 5ppm of FC is and add that to your pool every day until your test kit arrives and you an accurately measure.

That sounds like a lot, but you also said in the original post that there is debris at the bottom. Frankly, you have no idea until your kit arrives, because the strips are more or less worthless.

For 28k gallons of water your best bet is to get as much debris out of the pool as you can and add a gallon of LC per day until you can get a panel of test results.

The OP thread on the SLAM