New Here! Need Help With Pool Cleaner

Also, dont know if this could be the problem but my air relief valve on the top of the big tank tries to suck in air when I open it?

That big tank being your filter. That is the air relief valve. You hear air coming out, not sucking in,. Hold it open until you get water out of the valve. It purges the air trapped at the top of the filter and lets water fill the top of the filter.

I'm thinking the main pump isn't providing any water to the booster. From my understanding when the main pump is primed correctly, air then water should come out of the air relief valve. My air relief valve is sucking in water. I turned the valve (in the picture labeled main valve) back and forth and got air bubbles coming out of the ports on the side of the pool and the port that feeds the cleaner.

Any idea on what I should do to get water to come out of the air relief valve?

Attachments

• IMG_20190609_170525.jpg
    IMG_20190609_170525.jpg
    547 KB · Views: 4
Your air relief valve on your filter cannot suck water. It is under pressure. You have a PSI gauge on the top of the filter. What does it read when the main pump is running?

AJW- Thank you very much for the diagram! That helps a ton! I will check the inlet as soon as Im sure the main pump is primed.

Yes, I believe the large thing is the filter. On top the air pressure relief valve is actually sucking air in! I put a piece of paper over the hole on the pressure relief valve (when the valve is open) and it stuck to the hole. When I pull the paper off I can see the hole pulling on the paper. Im worried if I leave the valve open it will suck in more air and make the problem worse. I'm guessing this could be part of the problem.

Yesterday while I was trying to resolve this problem I cleaned out my filter basket, filled it up with water, and tried to prime the pump. I have water almost to the top of the filter basket and its clearly flowing from the skimmers/main drain to the main pump. However, when I opened the relief valve it sucked in air. From what I read when priming the pump it should shoot out air, then water.

Your multiport valve must be set incorrectly. That's the light-colored one with the black handle right in front of the filter tank. Make sure that valve is set to Filter.

Close the grey valve by the water features return. Turn the handle 90:degrees so the handle is parallel to the pipe.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pretty sure this is why the main pump isnt sending out water to the booster. Also, I did already close the features return.

Yesterday when I cleaned the main pump filter, I found two methods for priming the pump. I tried the first one (involving turning the multiport to recirculate). That did not work, then I tried the second version.

#1.
Turn pump off
Set multiport to recirculate
Fill filter basket with water & close
Turn pump back on

Turn off pump
Keep multiport on filter
Turn off main valve and one skimmer valve (I have a main valve and two skimmer valves)
Fill filter basket with water & close
Turn pump on
Open air relief valve, when water comes out close air relief valve
Slowly open main valve and second skimmer

#1 didnt work. #2 allowed me to have the pump filter basket mostly full and moving water, but water never came out of the air relief valve.

Which method should I do, or something different to try and prime the main pump correctly? Also, I have a water spigot connected after the pump (should I be putting water in there?) By the way, the multiport valve is set to Filter now. I moved it over when I started trying #2. Also, Im pretty sure there is no water in the filter at this moment.

Thanks everyone for so much help!

What model Main pump do you have? Take pics of the labels on it.

The pump should self prime. When you turn on the pump water should start filling the pump basket. If it is not then you have a suction side air leak. First place to check is the pump basket clear lid and the O ring. Make sure you have a good O ring on the lid, use Pool Lube on the O ring, and tighten the lid to the stop.

Have both skimmers and your main drain valve open.

Do not open your air relief valve until you have pressure on the filter gauge.

And have your water feature shutoff.

Ah! Hopefully thats the issue! I'm not sure if its on 1 or what atm. If It is on 1 should I just increase the speed until I get water out the pressure valve? Or should I go through the steps listed?

Also, on page 21 it says "Close the gate valves in suction and discharge pipe" are these the valves that open/close the skimmers and main drain? Or are they something else? I don't see anywhere listed later to reopen them?

Ah! Hopefully thats the issue! I'm not sure if its on 1 or what atm. If It is on 1 should I just increase the speed until I get water out the pressure valve? Or should I go through the steps listed?

Also, on page 21 it says "Close the gate valves in suction and discharge pipe" are these the valves that open/close the skimmers and main drain? Or are they something else? I don't see anywhere listed later to reopen them?

Lets be specific here. Steps listed where?

The lower section on p21 is about when you are going to open up the pump lid. You close the valve to the pump.

The upper part of p21 is about starting the pump. The third bullet tells you to open the valves you closed before starting the pump.

Don’t touch the filter air relief valve while getting the water flowing. Only open it to purge air after you have pressure on the gauge.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.