May 12, 2021
Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi guys!

New here and would love to hear some thoughts from you experts.

Have had my house with a SWG pool for just over a year now and have been using a pool service. Pool is approximately 15K gallons (to my best guess - image below). Currently use a Hayward Aquarite with a TCELL940 for the SWG and a Hayward EcoStar VSP. Nothing smart and the SWG is tied to an intermatic timer (more on this later). I also have a barely functional solar panel, such that I need to manually turn it on and off (the sensor and auto doesn't work).

For a few months, my pool service advised that he believes my salt cell was 'going bad' due to varying chlorine levels and although his salt tester says 3000ppm, the AquaRite fluctuates from 0 to 4000. He has been adding pucks to my skimmer basket along with liquid chlorine as needed since he said my chlorine levels tend to vary every week. Well, my Ecostar VSP finally just bit the dust and the motor won't turn on. Still receives power and can function the buttons, but won't prime nor turn on and I have tried flipping all the breakers. Pool service recommended a new motor or a new pump.

So that lead me on the adventure to figure out this pool stuff and to buy a new pump. Started researching and found out many pool companies want to give "better deals" by buying the pump + SWG all together. MY issue is that I do not know if my SWG PCB is working correctly or not (I should've done all this research prior, but didn't even think about it). I know my TCELL940 salt cell is OK (4 years old) as I had it tested at a local Leslies. I found out that my SWG has been in the intermatic timer, but the timer did not have any on/off pegs, so it has been receiving power 24/7. On top of that, the flow switch appears to have stopped working... when I turn on the AquaRite, with the pool pump "off", the SWG says "generating" and no issues about flow... However, I see a voltage of 32 but 0 Amps. I am not sure if it is saying 0 Amps because there is no water running through it? Could any one tell me if they override their flow sensor on the AquaRite SWG and turn the pump off, do you still have an amperage output from the SWG?

I also have on order a Pentair Intelliflow VSP along with the IntelliChlor IC40. But - I told the pool company that I want them to first install the pump and see if we can tell if the current Hayward AquaRite system is working appropriately and maybe just need a new flow switch? They just pushed the install out another week on me, so the pool is getting nice and green.

Just looking for your opinions and advice. Do we think the timer could have caused the salt level / chlorine levels to be way off on the AquaRite with a faulty flow switch? Is now the time I should be looking into automation or am I making the right move by swapping to all Pentair devices? All of the companies recommended the VSP either Hayward or Pentair, mainly because of the two fountains and solar.

Lots of questions - Sorry for the headache. Hope most of this makes sense?

*one other side note - The previous owner replaced the Hawyward Aquarite PCB/motherboard every 3 years. That is baffling to me and why I was thinking Intellichlor may be a better product?

Thanks!

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 17
Welcome to TFP :)

If the cell checked out working then it may be the control unit.. I have no way to know if it is working but there are people that know by what the setting are saying on the head unit, post up all those numbers to see if it is working.. You should always have the SWG on a timer for this exact reason... Flow switches go bad and your cell could have blow up if there had been water in the pipe but not moving.. Your guy probably took them out cause they have no idea....

I love my Pentair equipment and it lasts... Another option you can do is go to a Circupool SWG, it works by connecting to your timer and has a 5 to 8 year warranty for DIY install.. If you already have an IC40 count your lucky stars as there are not any to be had right now along with the pump...

Hold your breath cause the prices have gone up..

I love Circupool for the warranty and they work great.. Pentair work great also and if installed by the pro's you get a 2 year warranty, if you do DIY you get 30 days... Circupool gets between 5 years and 8 years warranty depending on model :)

Most people on here, including Pentair owners, will agree that they would only go with Pentair IC SWGs if they have Pentair automation. Apparently, you lose a lot of the functionality without it.

That was one of the factors that swayed me last year to get the Circupool RJ45. It has been rock solid for me so far and you really can't beat the chlorine output for the price. I also liked the fact that it carries a 7 year warranty even if you DIY install. It was not very difficult to install at all.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.