New here, dumping pool store advice, attempting to restore clear blue water - HELP!

I just checked the chlorine levels now (1.5 hours after this morning's 960 oz.). FC is now 0.2 and CC is 0.8. I'll need to run to the store if I need to pour in 1084 oz. according to the pool calculator. Is that right? I will post pictures later. My pool doesn't look horrible. It's just somewhat cloudy. I can see the shallow end bottom, but not the deep end bottom (9 ft). I will wait to proceed to next step until a hear feedback. Just want to make sure what I'm doing is correct. That's a lot of bleach!!!

I would look for a source that has stronger chlorine. With a stronger concentration you won't need as many gallons. Adding 8-9 gallons at a time would be a lot of work, 12.5% you'll use half as much.

It looks like you have a couple Menards stores that aren't too far away, they carry Splash brand 12.5% liquid pool shock, it's $4 per gallon and has an 11% rebate right now. A couple times over the summer they will usually have a two for one sale which makes it a really good deal. I've always found it to be very fresh, they usually have a lot in stock and I can get it in the 4 gallon cases which makes it easier to transport. I've found it's a bargain compared to bleach. For me bleach is about $3 per gallon for 6% at WalMart.

We do have a Menards around here - I will check that out. Thank you for that info!

Here is the recap so far from beginning:

8/15 evening
FC: 2.0
CC: 5.0
-----added 960 oz. 6% bleach

8/16 6:00 AM
CC:2.5
------added 960 oz. 6% bleach

8/16 8:00 AM
FC: 0.2
CC: 0.8

8/16 10:00 AM
FC 9.6
CC 0.6
-------added 320 oz. 8.25% bleach

I'm hoping this turnaround with FC going up and CC going down is what's supposed to happen and I'm moving in the right direction......

We do have a Menards around here - I will check that out. Thank you for that info!

Here is the recap so far from beginning:

8/15 evening

FC 9.6
CC 0.6

I'm hoping this turnaround with FC going up and CC going down is what's supposed to happen and I'm moving in the right direction......
Yes, that is what should happen. Don't forget to brush, so you scrape off any biofilm that may be protecting any algae. If/when you start to see drifts of dead algae (look like dust bunnies) vacuum 'em up. Vacuum the deep end, too, even if it means doing it blind.

Here are some pictures. You can see the shallow end is quite clear. I still can't quite see the bottom of the deep end. My last test at 3:00 pm showed FC 5.0, CC 1.0 (FC down and CC up from last reading). Added 547 oz. of 8.25%. Bleach is gone. Will have to make another store run.

You can see the pool isn't too bad in the pictures. It definitely isn't green anymore.
IMG_9116.jpg
IMG_9114.JPG IMG_9113.JPG

Just wait... when you're done with the SLAM you'll think your pool is clear, but keep the FC level where it should be afterwards and in another week or so you'll be astonished at the clarity and the sparkle. I mean glance out on a calm day and think all the water leaked out clear.

Can someone look over my numbers and re-assure me that everything is fine? I'm wondering why I can't seem to get the FC over 9.5 (Shock level is supposed to be kept at 16 but I can't get it there). See the following:

8/15 evening

FC 9.6
CC 0.6

3:00 PM
FC: 5.0
CC:1.0
-------added 547 oz. of 8.25%

5:00 PM
FC: 9.5
CC: 1.5
------added 267 oz. of 10% bleach

9:00 PM
FC: 6.5
------added 390 oz. of 10% bleach

Is this working? My pool is clearing, but the numbers aren't even close to hitting 16 FC.

Can someone look over my numbers and re-assure me that everything is fine? I'm wondering why I can't seem to get the FC over 9.5 (Shock level is supposed to be kept at 16 but I can't get it there). See the following:

8/15 evening

FC 9.6
CC 0.6

3:00 PM
FC: 5.0
CC:1.0
-------added 547 oz. of 8.25%

5:00 PM
FC: 9.5
------added 267 oz. of 10% bleach

9:00 PM
FC: 6.5
------added 390 oz. of 10% bleach

Is this working? My pool is clearing, but the numbers aren't even close to hitting 16 FC.
It probably would have tested 16 within a few minutes of adding it.

I see definite improvement. The hourly consumption is going down. I would expect to see less drop overnight because there is no sun, and a lot mid-day when there is intense sun.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My FC dropped quite a bit overnight. My testing before bed last night at 11:00 pm showed FC 12.0 and CC 1.0. I then added 164 oz. of 10% and went to bed. This morning my FC is down to 4.5 and CC is still 1.0. I just aded 472 of 10%. The pool store originally had told me I had high phosphates and so I added 2 bottles of Phosaway a couple weeks ago and then cleaned out my filter (made a mess of my filter). They still said I had them after I treated for it and told me sometimes it takes several treatments to get rid of them. (This was about the point where I started searching troublefreepool because I had thrown $500 into my pool between "shock" solutions which didn't hold and phosphate treatments.) I'm just mentioning about the phosphates in case this is something I need to address. Thanks again for your help. This site has been super helpful with quick responses!!!

Don't worry about the phosphates. Very, very rarely will it be beneficial to remove them. For the average pool owner it is unnecessary, and you can't remove them properly in a green pool anyway. Just keep on the slam schedule, adding chlorine as often as you can to maintain slam levels, vacuum daily if you can, and clean the cartridge as needed. The very early stages of a slam will burn through a lot of chlorine quickly, which is why we say to test and add often. Soon the chlorine will kill the algae faster than it can reproduce and the chlorine will hold longer.

Thank you regarding phosphates. I have 2 other questions. One is do I leave my automatic pool cover off my pool this whole time? I have had it off for the last two days so far, including nights. It is currently raining, not sure if that's an issue. Secondly, can we swim during this SLAM process? When we started, my pH was 7.0 and I was advised to leave it there for now. I have read that you shouldnt check your pH while slamming because it will be inaccurate. We are having company over tomorrow to swim, that is why I am asking if I need to cancel. As of now, our pool is clear, I can see the drains in the bottom of the 9 foot deep and clearly. I know I am not finished slamming though because the FC dropped last night from 14 to 4. CC has been 0.5-1.0. I will continue to slam but want to know about swimming. Thank you!!!!!!

You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom in the deep end of the pool.

Keep the automatic pool cover off. It lets the sunlight burn off the CCs. And you may have algae on the bottom of the pool cover contributing to your problems. Let your pool breath.

The mods will correct me if I'm wrong but there's no need to check for CC's during a SLAM. It will also save you on regents.
They are obviously there since the water is cloudy and until the water is clear and you're ready for an OCLT, there doesn't seem to be any point in checking for them.

Is that right, mods?

OK, so my pool is clear, but my FC late last night was 11.0 and dropped to 6.0 by this morning. I have not been able to get my FC above 12.0, my shock level should be up to 16.0 according to the charts. I decided to check my CYA level again because I had put some in the pool before i started this slam process and before I was being advised by trouble free pool.com. Since I know the CYA can creep up for about a weeks time, I was curious to see if it had raised. Ironically, I found that my CYA level had dropped. Initially my reading was about 35 (I was told on this forum to round that up to 40). Now my black dot is not disappearing, it is cloudy looking but definitely can still see it with the test tube of water full.

My question is if this finding a significant? I guess I'm thinking if I am shocking at a CYA level that is not accurate?
Secondly, why can I not get my FC level up to 16? I am following the pool Calculator every time I add more bleach. I am checking about every three hours during the day.
Third, I was not expecting to add this much bleach. What does everyone do with all the empty bottles!? I went through about 14 bottles of 10 % yesterday. I am on day 4 of slamming.

I’m not nearly enough experienced and qualified to answer your Q re CYA and FC, but just wanted to encourage you to keep on!

I started with a pond this year (complete with frogs and tadpoles). Took me about a week of SLAM to get to the “reasonably clean” stage. Then took me another week to get rid of the cloudiness. After that, much like you, after 3 or so days of trying to stay at SLAM levels I wondered why I needed to keep on trying - my water was clear! I was frustrated and had things I’d rather put money to than the copious amounts of gallons of bleach I was buying. But I kept with it and FINALLY, I think it was near another two weeks, hit my SLAM level. It was another few days before I could pass the overnight test.

I spent nearly as much money on bleach and test reagents as what I could have spent for the pool boy to get things up and going, but my costs since then have been minimal.

So now here I sit 1/2 way through summer. I am now familiar with how my water reacts and I no longer test every day (2-3 times per week) and put in three gallons of bleach about every other day. I have 36k gallons of crystal clear water I have zero issues with (well, minus the calcium, but that’s my own fault).

KEEP THE FAITH!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.