New heater recommendation - rats!

Sungar

Jul 1, 2016
San Diego, ca
And yes, that both “rats ate my old one” and “rats I have to replace it.”

I currently have a Sta-Rite Max E Therm 400 that has been destroyed by rats. I’ve talked to 2 pools guys and one recommended the Pentair Mastertemp 400 and said leaving the side panels off should help keep the rats from staying there because there’s no shelter. The other recommended the Jandy JXI 400 sealed heater because it’s rat proof. (I don’t believe anything is rat proof, so maybe rat resistant?). Both quoted a little under $3k installed.

Recommendation on which is better heater? Any reason to stay with the Sta Rite Max E Therm?

Thanks for your help.

I wonder if you could close up the empty spaces with some steel wool? Isn't that sometimes used in houses to keep critters out??
*Disclaimer- I have NO idea if this would be a potential problem or not?? It was just a thought...

Maddie :flower:

There are some premade kits or you can make your own screens. Just don't block the airflow.

Note that steel wool rusts very fast and is flammable. It also block air flow.

Last edited:
The Master Temp is the same heater as a Max E Therm, it's just in a box. The newest version of the Master Temp comes with rodent proofing already installed in the areas that rodents would get in. As stated above it's very important not to block the air flow

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.