New Hayward TurboCell: $1700 including labor. Is this normal markup?

Jun 29, 2016
North Adams, MA
hey all-

i havent been able to maintain my pool myself this summer. the pool maintenance company said the cell doesnt seem to be producing chlorine. I think the cell is at least 5 years old. I cleaned it in muriatic acid myself last summer. I guess this is something companies won't do.

I figure that it makes sense to replace the cell now. The $1700 quote is for the "Extended Life Pro Cell". I assume this is the TurboCell940. Im not sure why the quote is so expensive. I easily removed and cleaned the cell myself.

I have a Goldline AquaRite Box (the one that doesnt say Hayward but is the same as Hayward)

1. Can i purchase this model myself?
2. if not, whats the difference between this PRO model and the TurbCells I can buy online for $300-400? Is there any reason to try to find a PRO model?
3. Other than swap out the cell, what labor could they possibly do in the install.

thanks!

That is crazy. A T-15 cell should be <$500 ... not sure what the "extended life" one is.

There is no labor beyond swapping out the cell ... 2 union fittings and plug the cord in.

I figure that it makes sense to replace the cell now. The $1700 quote is for the "Extended Life Pro Cell". I assume this is the TurboCell940. Im not sure why the quote is so expensive.

Is the quote also for the control board? The 940 is the T-15 cell. Under $500 and it just swaps out. Assuming there is nothing wrong with the board.

Is the quote also for the control board? The 940 is the T-15 cell. Under $500 and it just swaps out. Assuming there is nothing wrong with the board.

Im assuming its just for the cell until I hear differently. So they are all the same? Is "Extended Life Pro" just marketing speak? I think it this one:

TurboCells | Sanitizers | In Ground Pool Sanitizers - Hayward Pool Products

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

That is crazy. A T-15 cell should be <$500 ... not sure what the "extended life" one is.

There is no labor beyond swapping out the cell ... 2 union fittings and plug the cord in.

I know. I see them installing the new PRO cell and then tell me my circuit board is bad and that will be $2000 more. Does it make sense to clean it again or do they have a shelf life. Mine is at least 5 years old. Probably never cleaned til last summer.

$1,700 for a cell plus $2,000 for a circuit board?

You can look up prices online. So, why are you even asking when it's obvious that the price is ridiculous?

You can get a whole system for about $900. The board is GLX-PCB-RITE.

The long life cell has a 4 year warranty vs 3 years and it has a thicker coating of ruthenium oxide to make it last longer. So, it's a little bit better, but maybe worth 1.25x more than a regular T-15 at best.

What are the diagnostic readings?

The main thing that goes wrong with the board is the thermistor, which is replaceable if you can solder.

You can get a new regular T-15 cell for about $435 and a board for about $190 and you can easily replace them yourself. Labor for a service call should be 1 hour maximum.

$1,700 for a cell plus $2,000 for a circuit board?

You can look up prices online. So, why are you even asking when it's obvious that the price is ridiculous?

I have yet to ascertain for sure that the quote is for the SAME cell. Moreover, as someone else suggested, the quote MIGHT include the board. I have yet to hear back from the company about that. I have no problem paying for good service and parts. My original post was asking if anyone knew if this was standard markup.

Reread the bit you replied to. I was just saying I could see this quote as part of bigger over-quote.

Ok James. Thanks. Your information is invaluable. Im doing this remotely from the home and don't have readings. Only a message from company that I need a new cell. I will be there tomorrow and will get readings (its been so long that I will have to watch a video).

I would estimate a maximum of about $800 for a company to replace the cell with a regular T-15 and the main circuit board. No need for a Pro cell. For a pro cell, maximum extra should be about $150.

So, for a pro cell and circuit board replacement, I would expect a maximum of less than $1,000.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.