New guy with J&J Lights configured as Intellibrite - is this how it is supposed to be?

burntoc

May 16, 2021
SoCal
Hey all,

So I'm a brand spanking new pool owner that should get clearance to use my pool this week while we wait out the time before we can heat it. I'm learning about the chemicals, filter schedules, etc. but I have help from a pool guy on that. My only real concern at the moment is my equipment - specifically the lights. My builder made most all the calls regarding what actual equipment went in the pool and it is virtually all Pentair stuff. He'd originally had a box of incandescent lamps that I noticed and I mentioned I'd wanted color-changing LEDs in the pool and spa, which he said he'd make happen and it would change with music, do patterns and stuff, and I paid about $1K extra.

I was trying to check out what the lights could do this weekend and they would just come on and cycle colors. It didn't seem to respond to other buttons and it was missing Intellibrite-dype color modes. I texted the builder to learn they are J&J lights but he didn't share more info - he's coming by today. I did notice some posts about setting them as Intellibrite in the config tool, which I did, and now the lights will change, but it is a very slow and methodical thing. What's more, and this is what I thought was odd, is that on any change I hear ticking noises coming out of my control box for several seconds and 1 or 2 of the lights on the panel flash, like it is mechanically cycling the lights a number of times to get them in these modes. It seems really odd all around, even if it is at least partially working this way. I worry about both experience (would Intellibrite be more dynamic and capable) and longevity.

Is it supposed to be like this? Am I worried about nothing? Thanks for any insights.

All sounds normal to me. The lights change their colors as they are power cycled. The clicking in the box is the relays cutting power off and back on to the lights.

Unfortunately pool automation is pretty far behind other types of home or building automation so you'll have to deal with the antiquated process of having the lights turn on and off. For such an expensive light you'd think they'd communicate the color over the powerline to the light such as what Insteon does with their light switches.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.