New Guy w/ New Quote Needs Your Feedback

dferrell5

Silver Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
San Antonio
Hi all,

Finding this site has been a game changer for me. This will be my families our pool and there is so much information that I don't understand with regard to pool construction. Hoping those of you here can assist me and my family in making an informed decision as we move through this process. I have two PB that have submitted me quotes, what I am trying to ascertain is which is a better (stronger) pool given my chief concern is potential cracking and other complications do to the soil in the Northern San Antonio area. Hoping you all can point out any things that concerns you or that you think I should give strong consideration to when viewing the two quotes. Something I think is of noteworthy, one PB is a well known and established PB which gives me some comfort but it also explains there higher price. The other PB is a much smaller family owned company which allows for a lower cost however, I have some concerns of will they be there should anything go wrong with the pool in the future. When trying to load the two quotes minus PB information it states the file is to large, any suggestions to get this up so I can get some feedback?

Re: New Guy

Hey! Another local. Welcome to TFP! :wave: Feel free to post any quotes or concerns you may have about the bids. We are careful not to post any specific negative comments about a company, but we can still make sure to clarify what you need (or don't need) for your pool. We look forward to helping where we can. Nice to have you with us.

That looks very nice. We'll be very interested to see what your bids include for equipment (i.e. pump type, size, speeds, filter type/size, # of skimmers/returns, type of chlorination, etc. Lots of the aesthetics like decking type, plaster, landscaping, can also come into play as well.

Welcome!

Your pretty rocky up there arent you? Makes for an even more stable base, but I would want to know how the will handle (charge) for getting into rock. I know there must be some Caliche down below you somehwere. :lol:

As I stated this is our first pool so I ask all to look at the following and I welcome all feedback:

Pool Builder 1

Customer Freeform Pool
Pool size: 17'6" X 30'3"
Perimeter 84 ft
Area: 424 sq ft
Depth: 3'6"- 5'4"
Coping: Standard Flagstone
Tile: 6X6
Water Feature: Three raised pool waterfalls and bubbler

Equipment: 1 Hayward 1.85 VS pump
Hayward 425 Sq ft Cartridge low main-high flow filter
Polaris 280 pool cleaner w/booster pump
Auto inline Chlorinator
E-Comamnd with remote
1 LED Colorlogic light

Shell: Dry Mix
Rebar tied on 10' centers with four bar beams pool are #4 rebar 60 grade
80% tie guaranteed with with galvanized tie wire
Minimum floor and wall thickness of 8'-10' with 12' thick on bond team and when out of ground
Lifetime structural warranty

Plumbing:

2" 40 PVC
2 pool drains
plumbing is VGB compliant
skimmer x 2 with hydrodynamic weir and 2" suction line independently plumbed
4 directional returns
overflow line and fill line
independently plumbed pool cleaner line
price includes 30' from pool to equipment pad

Plaster:
crushed pebble finish

Pool Builder 2

18' x 30' freeform
same perimeter, area, depth

Shell:1/2" grade, 60 steel rebar on 8" centers, both ways
pool bond beam: 1/2" grade, 60 steel rebar #4
6" gravel bid if needed
dry mix gunite rated up to 5000 PSI
floor and walls 8"-12", out of ground beam to be 12"

Plumbing:
pool pipes: up to 3" scheduled 40 and 80 PVC
returns: 5 directional inlets
skimmers: 2 Hayward
2 main drains
fill-line and overflow line included
cleaner line independently plumbed

Stone and tile:
6" band at waterline, frost-proof
coping: Oklahoma flagstone
raised wall with 3-18" sheer-descent waterfall coming out of wall 18" H x 9" L

pool plaster: quartzscapes ski blue

equipment:
Hayward TriStar 2HP 2S
filter: Hayward Pro-Series Sand
control box: inter-metic with freeze protection
sanitizers: auto in-line chlorinator
lights: 1 Hayward LED colored

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Very good, detailed quotes. I'm not a concrete expert, but I suspect others will have some info. The one thing I would keep in mind .... the chlorination aspect. That's what will keep your water clear and algae free. All builders like to include an in-line chlorinator (tablets) as if it's worry-free. Just be aware it's not. Tabs/pucks continuously add stabilizer which increases your CYA over the season. In many cases, owners have to drain some of their water to lower the CYA. So just remember, to chlorinate and keep the FC (Free Chlorine) at the proper level, you'll either have to add regular bleach manually each day, or have an SWG (salt water generator) or liquid dispensing product (i.e. stenner) added.

On average, I think you see SWGs used for those who prefer automated chlorination, or those (like me) who simply add a little bleach to the water each day. If you're the kind of family that is away a lot, automation (SWG) might be for you. Some builders will shy away from SWGs claiming corrosion problems or discoloration with surrounding coping, but I think that depends more upon the type of stone. Most of those who have SWGs really love them. Again, it's a personal choice. I just didn't want you to be shocked if a builder seems to dismiss an SWG.

Also, I'm going to modify your thread title to add something about new pool quote to help grab more eyes on the forum so people know you need help with quotes. :)

Welcome to TFP!

Just a few starters...

Coping: Thickness and what type of edge (both just say OK Flagstone or std. flagstone) You don't know what their standard flagstone is.
Plaster: PB1 is not clear. Have them state what brand, product and price level (what colors are included at the allowance).
Equipment: Have them provide model numbers for all equipment. One includes automation and one does not (simple mechanical timer). The comment that we have been telling people most recently, because of numerous times of confusion, is to tell the PB exactly what you would like to have automated/and how (if anything) and have them explain/agree how/that it will be done.
Cleaner: Robots are today's tech. Pressure cleaners are yesterday's tech. I recommend a http://www.doheny.com/poolsupplies/Dohenys-Discovery-Powered-By-Dolphin-13416.html.
Lights: Your pool size is borderline for needing two color LED's. The PB's will almost assuredly say 1 is sufficient. I would see who else replies with a pool this size and one Hayward Colorlogic LED to see if they feel it's bright enough.
Chlorination: The key to a Troublefree Pool is regular testing with a proper test kit (TF-100 or K-2006) and understanding what the different chemicals do to your pool. How do you plan to chlorinate?

It would be great if you can complete your signature in your Profile with key details on your proposed setup (then everyone can see the details on every one of your posts) and also if you can provide a few before pics of your backyard. They often lead to helpful comments.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are they comparable in price? There are things I like better than the other on both builders sorry to say. For either, I strongly suggest dumping the pressure cleaner and applying that money to a top end Robot. This may have been the best single piece of advice I got, and I am so glad I took it. Both are very structurally very good. Not all builders go with that big of rebar on such clos centers. The first one is too vague about the finish type/brand. Not that one brand will be absolutely better, but more info here would be helpful. Second is too vague on plumbing size. Does this mean 2" sch 40 minimum? You want two inch minimum, and needing three inch is rare. You want this spelled out plainly as well. What about the "rock clause" I mentioned earlier? You want to know how they will handle and charge for hitting rock. Is this covered? That needs spelling out too. What about percentage draws as the job is completed? You want no less than 10% final payment, and as much more as you can possibly get. Ten is the standard minimum, and some do as much as 25%, (rare) but whatever the case, you shouldn't have to pay it until the job is complete, pool filled and you are satisfied. Find out about that too. Theres more, but thats enough for now.

Great inputs above. Key to a pool project as noted above ... once the builder has your $$$$$$, they're gone. It's so important to spell-out the equipment for you (and TFP) to see and validate what YOU see as important (i.e. robot versus suction cleaner, type of chlorination, etc). Some builders put together pool packages based on sponsored equipment and/or incentives they receive, so the more you post & learn here, the better you'll be at the table with the builder. I wish I had done that before our pool was built. :)

Keep those questions and inputs coming!

Not sure you are looking, but when you said northern San Antonio...Clear Water Outdoor Design is building a pool for a co-worker right now. I'm doing an owner build, but Kyle Clark the builder helped me verify patio pricing. He has gone above and beyond with my co-workers pool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.