New Guy first test

Magoo3247

Bronze Supporter
May 11, 2019
Plainfield, Illinois
Hi, first time pool owner and first opening. I’m an idiot and listened to a neighbor who told me to poor 2 gallons of 12.5% liquid chlorine before I even had my filter/pump on 3 weeks ago (before i found this forum). I was scooping leaves and scrubbing so i guess that helped mix it in a little. Ive been running the pump on and off for a week. The water is clear. My first test is below:
FC: 8
CC: .5
PH: 7.5
TA: 140
CH: 225
CYA: 100

Can I have a few suggestions? Should I SLAM? Or just start balancing?

I probably could read more on here and figure it out. This forum/method is amazing but I just need some reassurance on my First time.

How did you get a 100 for your CYA? 100 is the limit of the CYA test, so you have to do a diluted test. Mix 50% pool water with 50% tap water. Use this mixed sample as your test water. Multiply the result by 2 for your CYA level.

You will need to drain/exchange some water to get your CYA to 40-50 ppm. With a vinyl liner, you can only drain so that you leave 18" or so in the shallow end.

So the water is pumping out now, far away from the pool. I’m a little nervous about draining. This is an AG w/ a vinyl liner - 4ft deep. The ground is wet as it has been raining often around here. As long as I stick to 18” I don’t run a risk of the liner loosing shape or anything horrible right?

That is the normal way. If it makes you feel better, you can do multiple drain/refills by only going down a foot. May take about 4 of those. So more water.

Dont feel bad, most of us that used test strips or followed pool stores had to lower cya. ? the good news is you are well on your way to sparkling pool!

Copied from fellow member below.
Lion King (Clear Water in Future).JPG

Ok, so had to take my time with the drain/refills....I barely had results after doing 1’ at a time so yesterday I went for it. I didn’t get to 18” maybe 2’. I’m not allowed to drain again or she will kill me. I think I’m in a decent spot though in regards to CYA. I got it down to 60 (rounded up).
FC: 0
TA: 190
CYA: 60
PH: 7.5
CH: 200
I think if I understand right I need to lower my PH to get the TA to come down before I slam? Can someone please confirm for me?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.