New GFCI and my pool light

stoteda

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Jun 15, 2020
California
I recently upgrade my entire pool pad with a Pentair Easytouch, VS pump, intellichlor, etc...

I finally got around to hooking up the pool light, and I wired it to a new GFCI breaker in the Easytouch. However I now have an issue where the GFC trips where the GFCI trips whenever I turn on the pool light. I’ve read about bonding here in the forums and am wondering if I inadvertently grounded something.
Are there easy ways to check the setup?

One thing I've seen people do is not attach the neutral (white) to the GFCI breaker and attach it to the neutral bar. It would act the same way.

Is there anything else on the circuit which turns on and doesn’t trip the breaker? It so I would think thats a sign your breakers doing its job and the lights got a short in it

I’ve swapped out the original 15A GFCI for a 20A GFCI, and I’ve confirmed that the neutral (white) is connected to the bus bar, along with all the other circuits.

I’ve ruled out a major short, since swapping in a standard breaker works fine.

@avspin, I think you may have the solution for me. To confirm what your are saying, my mistake would be wiring the white “tail” to the neutral bus bar, but not also connecting the white neutral from the pool light directly to the breaker.

I did a quick search and see what you describe. I will rewire this and suspect my problem will be solved, thanks!

1621915743894.png

Yes, just like the diagram. The neutral from the light attaches to the breaker and the breaker white neutral to the bar.

Also, make sure your wire is 12 gauge for it to be on a 20amp breaker. Don't put 14 gauge on a 20 amp breaker. You may need to stay with 15 amp breaker.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.