New Generic salt cell wrong readings

Jul 6, 2013
Waxahachie, Tx.
I have a 7000 gal FG pool. Hayward Aquarite Goldlne salt sys. My old salt cell is T3. After a lot of research with prices the way they are, I purchased a generic cell from the Saltpoolstore. According to the specs it was right for my system. I installed, checked the cell type and put in service. My panel was reading 5100 instant level. I had my water tested and it was 3900. I tried se many times to reach a real person with
them to talk to. Only a few email reply until they told me I could return it for a full refund. I then reached out to Hayward support and we changed the cell size from 3 to 5. Now the salt system reads3700. The problem with the generic one, there are no labels at all

I know and I did with the help of Hawyard Support. You must have missed what I said. The new genic one had no markings at all. I ordered a T3 and assumed thats what I got. Because of the higher salt readings I was assuming again that just maybe they sent a bigger cell. or there was a problem with it. Thats where Hayward support came in. We changed the size in the system to see what it would read.
Now....it seems to be working. I will know more as the days go by, monitoring the FC level. It has increased from yesterday 6 to 9 today measured about the same time during the day.

I had salt tested again this morning, 3340, this new generic salt cell is indicating 4600 ( with t3 selected) Supposedly the correct cell size byt the saltpoolstore.com
They keep telling me I need to dilute my pool so that their cell will indicate the tested results. And then calibrate the system(???) The only thing I can do is select cell sizes and change polarity of the cell. Too many red flags. Now if I change to the next larger cell size then the salt readings on the display are more correct with the test results.
I was told that the only difference between a T3 and T5 are the # of cells(dah!!!). I sent them a picture and it was confirmed as a t3. They refuse to talk on the phone, all they want to do in online chat or email. Early on in this mess they gave me the address where to send for refund. Iam gonna take it out, put my old one back in and use bleach until I get another one
Anyone have any ideas or experience with the Company.?

Same issue, with a new question. My new T15 cell from Salt Pool Store reads 4100-4700 although strip test and pool store test show 3700. Amps are from 7.5-8.0. IF those amps are going to hurt the Hayward control board, then the cell needs to be replaced. Somebody please confirm or correct that those amps could fry the board?

OK, thanks, so whatever is giving that false reading to the control board is the problem. Would that be the new cell? Since I already have a T15, there is nothing more I can do in order to alter those numbers. Doing a calibration doesn't change things because the numbers are the same (which according to you would be correct due to the cell being new). Is this another bad cell?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, thanks, so whatever is giving that false reading to the control board is the problem.

What false reading - the salt level? The salt level is a calculated number by an algorithm in the main board that uses the voltage, amperage and water temperature. High amps make the board think the salt is high.

Would that be the new cell?

Yes, you have a generic cell that does not meet the design specifications from Hayward and gives different performance. It could be due to a different coating on the plates then what Hayward uses. There is a reason that cell is half the price of the Hayward OEM cell. You don't think that if Hayward could manufacturer a cell that meets their specifications for half the price they would?

Since I already have a T15, there is nothing more I can do in order to alter those numbers. Doing a calibration doesn't change things because the numbers are the same (which according to you would be correct due to the cell being new). Is this another bad cell?

Bad cell? It is a generic cell that is not matching the performance and specifications of the Hayward OEM cell.

Take it up with the vendor who claims it is identical to a Hayward T15 cell. The data says it is not.

Good thinking, but there are reasons why private label (or no label) products are cheaper, and not necessarily lesser quality. These cells might be junkers, though, so the new one coming (to replace a DOA one) better give a better reading, otherwise it's a refund and a Hayward, with fingers crossed that the Hayward will exhibit better manners.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I have a T15 version from SWP. It is working fine after 4 years. It has always shown higher salt than actual. I just test it myself and have done a correlation. Still refuse to pay Hayward prices, this one works fine. Salt measurement is and Algorithm calculated by the controller based on Temp and other variables. Personally I would move on and not worry about it. Just know when the Cell Reads X the real value is Y. I would not give Haywood the please of buying one of their grossly over priced cells, that actually lasted less time than this one. I run it at 25% and it provides more than enough chlorine.

A lot of good info here...thanks to everyone. My salt test kit will be arriving tomorrow. I have also been replacing some of my water in small to moderate amounts due to my high level of CYA(which by the way is not the subject here. ) I noticed that my panel is reading a more believable salt number than before. I cant wait to see what the test kit shows. I have my output set at 10% rigght now trying to get it down to level jsut under 10.

I rcvd my Taylor K-1766 salt test kit and my pool tested at 3400. My Aquarite Avg reading is 3400 with the new generic salt cell.
My FC has been holding steady yesterday @3p=9.5FC, today at 130P=8FC. I will keep monitoring the FC to ensure the cell is maintaing proper FC level.

Today's reading at 3P was FC 6 so I bumped the output to 20%. Still working on replacing water when I can to lower my CYA level. I jsut dont have the time to attempt it all in one day. I happened to be at the panel when it was generating. Average salt was 3400, instant was 2400. I dont remember was the volts and amps were.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.