New Generic salt cell wrong readings

Some information regarding Hayward salt cells according to Hayward… the newer cells are being made with more rethenium plating on the grid than previously to extend the life of the cell. The added rethenium is causing the systems to read higher than previously, and it’s especially true of the newer TCell940, which initially gives a reading that is about 20% higher than the actual salt content. As the plating wears off (they stated about a year) the cell accuracy will improve . My guess is that whoever makes the grids for the Hayward cells also makes the grids for other brands, so I’d expect the higher inaccuracy to be the new “norm” for most, if not all cells.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I had salt tested again this morning, 3340, this new generic salt cell is indicating 4600 ( with t3 selected) Supposedly the correct cell size byt the saltpoolstore.com
They keep telling me I need to dilute my pool so that their cell will indicate the tested results. And then calibrate the system(???) The only thing I can do is select cell sizes and change polarity of the cell. Too many red flags. Now if I change to the next larger cell size then the salt readings on the display are more correct with the test results.
I was told that the only difference between a T3 and T5 are the # of cells(dah!!!). I sent them a picture and it was confirmed as a t3. They refuse to talk on the phone, all they want to do in online chat or email. Early on in this mess they gave me the address where to send for refund. Iam gonna take it out, put my old one back in and use bleach until I get another one
Anyone have any ideas or experience with the Company.?
I have the same problem with a replacement cell from "saltpoolstore.com. I purchased the platinum edition t-5 cell. I have an aquatrol control unit and despite the fact that my salt level is 2800 (results from both an electronic meter and salt dip sticks} the reading is 5200 with a current of 5.0 on the aquatrol plus occasional high salt reading shutting down the generator. I called them and they said my salt level must be too high and to re-set the aquatrol. Re-setting the aquatrol did nothing to correct the problem. I would suggest anyone in need of a new cell avoid the generic version and stick to the Hayward original.

I have the same problem with a replacement cell from "saltpoolstore.com. I purchased the platinum edition t-5 cell. I have an aquatrol control unit and despite the fact that my salt level is 2800 (results from both an electronic meter and salt dip sticks} the reading is 5200 with a current of 5.0 on the aquatrol plus occasional high salt reading shutting down the generator. I called them and they said my salt level must be too high and to re-set the aquatrol. Re-setting the aquatrol did nothing to correct the problem. I would suggest anyone in need of a new cell avoid the generic version and stick to the Hayward original.
Think I found a solution to the above problem. Seems that the platinum edition T-5 cell is more powerful than the Hayward original. By ignoring the Hayward recommended salt level and keeping the level slightly below the 2800 ppm, I don't get the "high salt" shut down. By doing a chlorine level test from the pool outflow, I found that the platinum cell is outputting a lot more chlorine at that salt level than the Hayward cell at 3300 ppm level.

High amps is why the Hayward boards burn out components and solder joints. High amps create heat.

The board is supposed to shutdown at 8 amps to protect itself.

Examples at Hayward Aquarite SWG - Further Reading

If high amps is heat, what is the reasoning of shutting down with too low of salt?

If anything the amps would be low, but the board still shuts down when the salt reading is below ~1700.

If high amps is heat, what is the reasoning of shutting down with too low of salt?

If anything the amps would be low, but the board still shuts down when the salt reading is below ~1700.

The system knows it cannot generate the expected amount of chlorine with LOW SALT so it shuts down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.