New Gas Heater - Check Valve location

611Manetta

Mar 15, 2021
NJ
I just had a new Hayward H200 gas heater installed. The installer put a new check valve on the discharge side of the sand filter (before inlet to the heater). I also have an existing SWG. Shouldn’t the check valve been installed at the discharge of the heater prior to the SWG?? I haven’t said anything to the installer yet , meeting him this weekend to pay for the install. Want to know if this was installed correctly.

Shouldn’t the check valve been installed at the discharge of the heater prior to the SWG??
Yes, this is where it would provide arguable value with the salt cell.

FYI, Pentair and Hayward don't require the CV, only recommend. Jandy is the only one that says it needs to be there.

Its cheap insurance no matter the manufacturer's opinion.

Can you provide a photo so we can rule out some other reason for the odd placement?

While you are having him change the CV location have him install a Heater Bypass - Further Reading

The heater bypass uses a CV on the heater output so you will have it whether it is recommended or required.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.