New filter recommendations

Prav

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 23, 2010
Miami, FL
As I mentioned in this post, my filter blew up and I am looking for a new one.

I think cartridge is best, so looking at Hayward 1200 ($350) and 1750 ($440). Larger is better, so I should be OK with 1750, right? What about other brands: basically the same thing and the main difference is just price?

It does seem like the input to 1750 is for 2" pipes; I have 1½" out of the pump to the current (dead) filter. Any issues there?

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Different size pipe connections are not a problem. You will need a suitable fitting to change pipe size, which is easy enough to find.

There are several minor variations between brands and models within a brand, but they are small. The most noticeable of the small differences are things like how easy it is to open the top to get at the cartridges to clean them and how easy to air bleed valve is to operate, all minor stuff.

My hayward filter was decent but I like my Pentair better. The Clean and Clear cartridges are top notch. Easy to clean and trap a lot of dirt. Granted, I've got the big boy CCP420, but even the smaller 150sq/ft models are really decent.

As for the pipe, you can buy a downsizing adapter (2" to 1.5" at the filter). It doesn't make a while lot of difference. If you've never done PVC before, it's super simple. Use unions at both sides of the filter for easy maintenance (costs about $7 each at Depot/Lowes) and use the blue rain-or-shine cement. I was a total novice a few years back and now can make PVC do almost anything. It's that simple! :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.