New fiberglass SWG pool

I'm about to go crazy trying to keep my chlorine levels up.
pH 7.8
TA 99
CYA 35
FC .5
CC 0
Salt 3300
CH 225

I started today reading FC 2 but it has dropped to 0.5. I have an Ichlor 30 running 100% with the pump running all day. I tested the return and the FC showed 2.5 so I know it's producing chlorine. I have a sock in the skimmer trying to add CYA. Does having CYA below 60 make it very difficult for SWG to keep up with the chlorine demand?

My water is very clear and I did an overnight test and didn't lose any chlorine. I'm at a loss right now. I have a small amount of clay in the corners of the pool but I wouldn't think that would affect it that much. I've been running my robot vacuum everyday since I got it in the mail.

The reply to your question about CH pretty much answers my earlier thread today on that question....Thanks! Consider putting a flow meter in your system if you have a variable speed pump. I am delighted with the one listed in my signature. Sure, you can get by fine without it, but it makes calculating how many turns you get per day at a given speed a breeze, and you can quickly optimize your RPM and run schedule. As for CYA, I target no more than 60. Go above that, and if you need to SLAM for some reason, it does not work well at all. It's not a bad idea to keep CYA around 30-40 until you get everything stabilized. I have a different SWG, but for what it's worth, I keep the thing dialed way back and have no trouble keeping the FC at 3.5. I make sure the salt level is in the 2500-3500 ppm range. My 2 cents as a fiberglass pool owner.

Last edited:
What volume is this pool? How long are you running the pump each day?

You need to raise your CYA to at least 60 or 70 ppm for your SWCG to keep up.

What volume is this pool? How long are you running the pump each day?

You need to raise your CYA to at least 60 or 70 ppm for your SWCG to keep up.
19700 gallons. I know the SWG is under sized but I plan on running my pump 24/7 just enough speed to run the SWG and some time at a higher speed.
I hung a sock in the slimmer this afternoon for dry CYA. I almost wish I would have just bought more liquid CYA

Just went by Leslies so I thought I would get them to test the water. I’ll run the tests when I get home

free chlorine 4.21
surprised it isn’t a little higher
Total chlorine 4.21
pH 8.2
This seems a little high. My electric pH reader shows 7.9
Total alkalinity 49
I’ve been reading 99 but I’ve added muriatic acid. Is this normal where you have to keep adding acid and then later have to add alkalinity up all the time?
Calcium hardness 163
I would have thought this was higher. I think I was reading 225
cyanuric acid 71
This seems high. I assumed the city fill water would be 0 and I know I haven’t added that much to get to 71. I really don’t like this test. I feel like I can see the dot for a really long time
Phosphates 287
Just bought a test on amazon
Salt 3491

Yeah, I really wouldn't trust the pool store. I took a sample bottle into 3 different pool stores one day and their results were all over the place. One store measured CYA 25 and the next CYA 68. I measured CYA40. They were all close on PH but their results on CH varied from 125 to 180 and mine was 225.
You will get there with the CYA test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.