New Fiberglass Install - Southern NJ

I wasn’t happy about my town forcing me to install a dry well but it is nice to not have to deal with backwash hoses.

You all motivated me to have a go at this. How’s this sound for a punch list?

1. Open up filter and make sure everything is seated properly. Lube O’ring, install and tighten band clamp. Put pressure gauge on. Leave air relief valve open.
2. Insert Drain plugs into pump
3. Make sure MPV is on filter setting
4. Uncover pool
5. Remove return plugs and skimmer gizmo
6. Put skimmer basket with hairnet in skimmer
7. Fill pump basket with water, lube o-ring, close it up and fire Intellicenter, running pump at higher rpm to get things circulating. Making sure to close air relief valve on filter once i
8. Load 8lbs DE into skimmer (yup, making the slurry, 2 lb batches at a time).
9. Let water run for an hour and then start testing water.

I don’t plan on loading in salt for a week or so, until chemistry is in check. First we can start to run heater once chemistry is good, bring water to 70 degrees ish and then add salt.

Anything else I should be really weary of? @jimmythegreek?

It really seems easy enough.

Lube drain plug orings and any other orings. Make sure to check all valve orientations and check pump basket for plugs. If you have a heater they removed those drain plugs as well, you may have 2. Open heater and make sure theres no debris on the burner racks, animals love to nest there over the winter

I just noticed the PB never removed heater drain plug for winterization. I just removed it and just a bit of water came out. I hope that’s not a problem!

I just noticed the PB never removed heater drain plug for winterization. I just removed it and just a bit of water came out. I hope that’s not a problem!

This is what should have been done to winterize your MasterTemp heater. Check if steps 4 & 6 were done.

full

This is what should have been done to winterize your MasterTemp heater. Check if steps 4 & 6 were done.

full

I’m doubtful. The problem was is that we have yet to fire up the heater yet as we are just running the gas line this weekend. We never got around to it over the winter. I think they basically blew out all the lines and emptied & cleaned the filter and pump and removed drain plugs at pump.

The pool is open!!!

My buddy came over with a six pack of super juicy IPA and we got it done. After studying videos and TFP, we had it done in an hour. Holy worms!!! I figured out why my FC was so high, they left a plastic chlorinator thingy in the shallow end. There was still 2 pucks left in it.

All I need to do is give the cover pumps a thorough cleaning and lay the cover out to dry tomorrow over the lawn. Really, really easy!!! No issues to report.

The only question I have is that we can see some small bubbles in the pump filter basket, yet NONE in the pool. Is that something to be concerned with? Hopefully my photo captured it: 8D6357BD-D0D4-4A9D-9D77-E2432F0EC1FD.jpegB6ADCF42-2FDB-47EC-90FC-8AC978540C49.jpeg

The robot is in now doing its thing. I may have to change the filters in the robot to the pleated ones as there is a bunch of grit and sand in the bottom. We shall see.

Thanks again, everyone, for the inspiration to get it done!

C0C31DDC-37B7-4749-B75E-5E7035739B4E.jpg

Edit. I lied. 1 more question. Anyone know what these things are? They were in my PB box of “stuff”:
B75F3DAB-D474-4100-8AFA-EB722BAB56F7.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Apsuhead

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They look like sleeves that go in the top of the skimmer to bring the lids level with the patio.
Ah. That could be it. They concrete guy had pulled out the old skimmer covers and installed the ones that they filled with concrete and stamped in conjunction with the deck so it looks seamless. In that case I can toss them.

Pool looks great! When I ran my Warrior SE the first time with the fall leaf filter, if didn’t pick up much. I switched to the pleated filter and it picked up everything on the bottom.
Hope your pump bubbles are okay, I freaked out when I shined a light down in mine last week after I cleaned out the pump filter basket. I thought it was running dry until I realized it was full of clear waiter.
Have you mowed your sliver of grass between the evergreens and pool yet? I have a section similar that is a pain to mow while trying to keep the clippings out of the pool and off the concrete. I almost wish I had a little push mower for that spot.
Now we just need some warm swimming weather, it is going to be 34 tonight but up in the 80s here next week ☀️

Pool looks great! When I ran my Warrior SE the first time with the fall leaf filter, if didn’t pick up much. I switched to the pleated filter and it picked up everything on the bottom.
Hope your pump bubbles are okay, I freaked out when I shined a light down in mine last week after I cleaned out the pump filter basket. I thought it was running dry until I realized it was full of clear waiter.
Have you mowed your sliver of grass between the evergreens and pool yet? I have a section similar that is a pain to mow while trying to keep the clippings out of the pool and off the concrete. I almost wish I had a little push mower for that spot.
Now we just need some warm swimming weather, it is going to be 34 tonight but up in the 80s here next week ☀️
It will definitely be push mowed. Might even need to whack it at the point. We shall see. Since it’s new sod, I’m letting it root first.

I’m glad I got it opened. Robot is doing its thing and water looks great. Like you, it’s cold up here. Low 40’s today but tomorrow and onward it is 70’s for the foreseeable future.

The only caveat to all this is that my PB never put the strainer cover on the main drains. Once we start to heat up the water, I’ll throw my dive gear on and go down there and screw them in. I’m ok with any excuse to dive in my pool.

Just read your thread and it was interesting to see it all come together. Looks great!! Did you ever seal the concrete? We just had our concrete poured a couple weeks ago and am having a hard time deciding what to use to seal it. I'm in SE PA, so nearly the same climate. Maybe @jimmythegreek could chime in with what is good to use? The deck mason mentioned Thompson's water sealer:laughblue:. I've always heard that stuff isn't so great.

Actually, concrete folks are coming out next weekend to do some detail finishing on the concrete (sanding, something around the brass cover screws because they chipped a little), power washing and sealing.

We couldn’t seal back in November due to the cold weather, so it was always scheduled to be done around this time.

I’ll report back with what they use.

And the heat is officially on! Ran 100’ of gas pipe through basement, under subfloor, through crawl space and through garage. Trust me that was the only option as our backyard had been finished for 7 years and we didn’t want to dig anything up.

Took a solid 7 hours, but, it’s done!

I am seeing some DE in the pool, I’m curious if I need to be concerned or if it is just because we loaded the filters for the first time and some slipped through? How to tell if I have a legitimate DE filter issue?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.