New Fiberglass install in Clarksville TN (Dig started Nov 16, 2020)

Apsuhead

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2020
Clarksville TN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
I live in Clarksville TN and we are getting a 38x16 ft fiberglass diver pool installed in our backyard. We have a big fenced backyard, with a covered deck and patio with 4 person hot tub. Trying to figure out concrete decking plans, basic install comes with 5 ft on each side except 9 ft on diving board side. Here is our plan for the location.

3B8D9960-3330-49F0-9248-9E02CA1FBC6D.jpeg53514F88-E3AD-4F11-912D-4D3483F6F1C0.jpeg

My wife doesn't want to spend lots of money on extras so I think we may get 7 ft of concrete on the north side of the pool and 3 ft on the south side. It seems the sun is more towards the south in the summer so that would put the chairs facing the sun during the summer. The backyard slopes slightly from south to north, the neighbors house is slightly up on a hill. My back yard pretty much levels out in the middle so the pool will be installed on mostly level ground. Diver pool is 38 ft x 16 ft. I think would like to get an extra 2 ft of concrete on the north side to get to 9 ft of concrete vs only 3 ft on the other side. $7 a sq/ft for extra concrete would equal $728 but would give more room for pool lounge chairs. I have a patio off the deck and I will build a paver with rock pathway that leads from there to the pool. Just signed contract today, probably be around November for install. My friend just got the same pool installed 2 years ago in my neighborhood. He paid extra to get 9 ft of concrete all around.
32BCBFE4-46D0-4402-B3D8-7D496D7AD3FC.jpeg

Reactions: Casey
Welcome to TFP! I’m in Clarksville also and we got our pool this winter. I suspect we used the same company and we almost got that same pool, but ended up with the “Figure 8” diver. Spend the money on the extra concrete. Also, get the “sun surveyor” app on your phone and you can see exactly where the sun and shade will be on any given day at any time to help you plan the concrete.

This is a great website. I knew nothing about pools, but with the advice here have been able to maintain ours to perfection virtually trouble free! Please feel free to message me for more info or specific advice about the pool builder. They did a great job but there were a couple of things we changed, primarily on the advice of this website.

I agree... get more concrete. You will be disappointed afterwards if you don't. It provides room for tables and chairs, loungers, etc. Nice potted flowers look nice on a pool deck! It also keeps the grass mowing *out* of the pool, which is important.

Get an electric outlet or two placed in the pool area for robot use, or kids recharging phones, etc. A hose bib nearby is also a great help.

I'm a little concerned by all the shade in your desired area. You want enough sun to warm the pool water (free). Check old pictures if necessary to see where the sun hits your yard in May onward.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Apsuhead
@monoptn I’ve heard nothing but great things about our builder, they have done a great job with several friends. Your pool looks great. I got a hot tub a few years again ago so I’ve got some experience with the chemicals. My neighbor friend who got our exact pool said he could hook up a heater afterwards for me. He got the exact same electric heater that the PB offers for half the price online and installed it no problem.
@YippeeSkippy Great idea about the extra plugs. I’ve got 2 teenage daughters so I’m sure their friends will have plenty of phones by the pool. The pic with shade was taken at 6pm so it only gets shade at the end of the day from our house. That’s one reason the pool will be set back away from the house slightly. My neighbor has the same directional setup with a shallow pool up against the house and it gets so hot during summer that I dont like going over there until the shade finally hits the pool.
I’m learning a lot reading this site. Thanks for the feedback!

Get as much concrete as you can afford. We put in a pool 2 years ago with 4' on one long side, 12' on the shallow end side, 8' on the other long side, and 4' on the diving board side. I put in pavers for walkways to the garage and to our nearby barn after the pool builder was done. As expected that wasn't enough concrete for all of the chairs, loungers, tables, etc. So our builder jut left yesterday after pouring another 600 sft pf concrete for the walkway and additional sitting area.

Here are some more pics of the backyard where the pool is going. I’m planning to bury the gutter downspouts soon so I will get them to mark all the underground utilities. Pretty sure there’s none in the backyard in the pool area.
05E27C99-A487-48E0-B653-B1C0FC2A5E50.jpeg66F3697E-1FD0-49ED-B40E-CF1C02292CBC.jpeg2F9F2C41-4966-45CD-8CF4-61097BBF3B4C.jpeg1559CEBA-713D-41E7-8826-9F5FD551F7C1.jpeg

Anyone have any experience with using a sod cutter? I thought about renting one before the pool install. I’ve worked hard on my grass and it’s looking great this year. I thought I could use sod from the pool area to fix some bad areas in other places of my yard. PB usually works quick in about a week so might even be able to use it for the repair areas around the pool when finished.

I think we decided on a layout. We are going to go with the regular builder setup with 5 ft of concrete on each side and 9 ft on the diving board end. We are just going to add 4 extra ft on concrete for 14 ft centered in the middle of the pool. That will give us some space to put 3 or 4 loungers and only equals an extra 56 sq ft at $7 a sq ft which would be $392. They also came and marked all the underground utilities and I have zero in the back yard which was good news. Here is a similar pool setup with extra concrete in the middle and our new plan. 03E270AE-3AFC-44BA-8BEE-DAC0D48355F7.jpegD1C4F193-A5C1-48F6-98AB-7D2155C1BCB2.jpeg

Reactions: monoptn

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm wondering if it would be possible to use my fill dirt from the pool dig to make a big level area for a volleyball court beside my pool? The volleyball court would be slightly elevated compared to the pool. The way the yard slopes all the rain either runs between my house and the pool area and also towards the fence in the back of the yard. We play volleyball a lot in the backyard and it would be great if we could get a level area for the court without any slope.
IMG_7463.jpgIMG_7464.jpgIMG_7465.jpg

You can certainly give it a shot! They can "lose" a bunch of dirt on something like that. They will spread it and get it to "rough grade" for you. You will need to smooth it to final grade and sow the grass on your own, or hire it out by someone else. But if you can use the dirt in your own yard that's ideal.

I suspect the homeowner would go for that......I've figured out who he is from his screen name and hometown. RIght, Cornbread and Turnip greens? LGP.
Haven’t been called that in a while ?
I think I better stick to low impact basketball in the pool with something like this ... 0CFD8CB9-A39A-481B-86EA-34A225B37028.jpeg

I'm wondering if it would be possible to use my fill dirt from the pool dig to make a big level area for a volleyball court beside my pool?
My PB was going to take all my dirt away. He JUMPED at the chance to not have to haul it away and level my backyard yard with it. The bobcat was at my house for backfilling either way and he spread it all around in an hour or two.

Last edited:
Anyone have any experience with using a sod cutter?
I worked at a rental store out of HS and we had one. It cut a strip about 8 inches wide and you rolled it up as big as you wanted before cutting the piece off. It went pretty quick but needed alot of passes. Moving all the pieces probably took as longer than the cutting part.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.